AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High Quality for Plural, Very Low for Singular

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello- Been using adwords for quite some time and can't seem to fix this problem.

I have a high quality score of the plural version of a keyword, but very low for the singular. Yet, when I look at my web site, for the most part, there's equal usage of each variation (at least it looks like this).

Any tips, advice, or guidance you can lend to help me with this. It's quite a painful problem?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bill H
September 2015

Re: High Quality for Plural, Very Low for Singular

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The higher QS is probably due to a better CTR of the plural version; I would not attribute it to the keywords on the landing page, (BTW: this myth  that the "spread of keywords on the landing page play a role in  relevancy" - is no longer true, and I am not quite sure  that  it was, at all, (true)  in the past Smiley Happy )

Keep in mind that closed variants (e.g., plurals, ing form, ..) are included when adding a keyword. So, in a sense, there is redundancy when adding both versions. I would remove the less performing keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I agree. Did a bit of analysis. Out of 12 keywords, 7 are high quality
but low traffic. 5 are high traffic but bid price much higher than $2. So I
have to look for a time window when price is less than 2 or look for other
high traffic keywords that cost less than or equal to 2! Looks tough to
me!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again Bill;

It has been a few months now that Google automatically includes close variants for any keyword. (Note: synonyms are not close variants)

So, these keywords will compete, and a close variant could be used in either. e.g. singular - as a close variant of plural - could trigger the ad or vice versa. Google does not disclose the  algorithm algorithm;

Thus, I would remove one ad group - in the current structure - this is a redundancy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The higher QS is probably due to a better CTR of the plural version; I would not attribute it to the keywords on the landing page, (BTW: this myth  that the "spread of keywords on the landing page play a role in  relevancy" - is no longer true, and I am not quite sure  that  it was, at all, (true)  in the past Smiley Happy )

Keep in mind that closed variants (e.g., plurals, ing form, ..) are included when adding a keyword. So, in a sense, there is redundancy when adding both versions. I would remove the less performing keyword.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow! This is huge thank you so much.

I just posted a similar question that Google isn't displaying the non plural version. But from what you write here, I think I'll remove the singular version.

Awesome. This makes huge sense to me. Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You are welcome.
You are welcome to visit the community, again, on any Adwords topic.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would also check the search terms report, if you are bidding higher for the plural version, it could be matching search terms that are singular version such as in this example :

[product prices] = bid 2 $

[product price] = bid 1 $

search term = product price, triggered keyword [product prices]

In this case you can separate the singular version kw in another ad group and add the singular version kw in exact match as a negative keyword for the ad group where the plural version is. This way the traffic will be split and a search term for the singular version will not get a click from the plural version kw.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was inspired by MosheTLV's line of argument and changed my campaign to plural from singular. We are a non-profit and google grant has set a limit of $2 max. Even after making those changes, still no luck. So it looks to me that I am hit by 2 factors. one is, my ad is for free social media education which may be less frequently searched and the second, my bid price is not attractive enough for the system. So I am out of the window. Gone. I need to figure this out to find my way back in. Any help please?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yep. This is a competitive field.
Use the keyword planner to do some research on the average price per click (for your keywords) during the last 12 months. This will give you an indication  whether you are within the range of bids, OR as you said, you are hit by the $2 barrier.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I agree. Did a bit of analysis. Out of 12 keywords, 7 are high quality
but low traffic. 5 are high traffic but bid price much higher than $2. So I
have to look for a time window when price is less than 2 or look for other
high traffic keywords that cost less than or equal to 2! Looks tough to
me!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello- Thanks again for the help.

I just want to double check:

- If I have the following adword in one group:
[business simulation]
"business simulation"
+business +simulation
- And another adgroup with:
[business simulations]
"business simulations"
+business +simulations

I should turn off the first one (singular) because the group with the plural versions is going to show anyway? RIght now, they are both on and the first (singular) group is getting a lot more impressions. If I turn off the first one, google will show the second one more?

Thx! Hope I explained ok.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again Bill;

It has been a few months now that Google automatically includes close variants for any keyword. (Note: synonyms are not close variants)

So, these keywords will compete, and a close variant could be used in either. e.g. singular - as a close variant of plural - could trigger the ad or vice versa. Google does not disclose the  algorithm algorithm;

Thus, I would remove one ad group - in the current structure - this is a redundancy.