# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

My average position is very low, and I’ve applied the following:

• Relevant ad copy
  • Good quality scores (7-9)
  • Relevant site-link ad extensions
  • Relevant landing page

I've adjusted the bids (as suggested in previous posts) that they are about 25% higher than the average first page bid, but still I get a really low adrank. 

Is there any way to see why this is happening? 

Thanks. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High Quality Score, Relevant Page and Ad Extensions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Marcelle,

Welcome to the AdWords Community.

As you have said that you now have made ads and keywords very relevant and are using site links as well with a good landing page. 

However there are many things you should look into, for now I would quickly recommend you to bid as per the Est Top page Bid and try bidding a little higher also and see if you find any improvement in the ad position.

Hope this Helps.

- Prashanth Reniguntala

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marcelle C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

As you said that you have already applied the mentioned techniques, I must say that if you applied them recently, then you should wait for sometime, until it really impacts your keyword's Quality Score or overall Ad Rank.

When you hover mouse over the individual keyword, you see all the main ingredients which comprises of QS like Expected CTR, Ad Relevance and landing page experience. If there is anything marked red in the status out of these 3 elements, you need to consider working on that.

As a other way round, in case with one set of keywords you still believe that you have a low Quality score and a low ad position,try different variation of keywords and also different match types. It may be possible that one keyword match type doesn't work the way it should work and another variation might do wonders.

Make sure you have an excellent CTR for your keywords and you optimize the keywords with low CTR so that account is intact.

I hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marcelle C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Marcelle,

To be honest, the best advice I can give in this situation is that you may simply have to ignore the Estimated Bid figures and manage your bids yourself.  These top of page and first page bids suggested by Google are just estimates and in my experience their accuracy can vary tremendously.

If your Ad Rank is lower than you'd like it to be and you have decent Quality Scores, etc. then the only way to improve your rank is to increase your bid; if this ends up with bids way above what Google suggests, so be it.

Having said this, you may like to look into how your rank varies over the hours of the day and over regional targets.  Bear in mind that the average position shown for a Keyword is the average across all hours and all targets so it's possible for a Keyword to have an average position of #1.0 at, say, 9am, but be much lower at 2pm; or to be higher in one State/Country than another.  If you find these sorts of variations, rather than simply raising the bid overall, you might consider using bid adjustments for the times/targets where position is low.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Marcelle,

I agree with what Jon has said. QS and bids are two big factors in the auction, your QS is good so
It must be that your bids aren't high enough. Likely what's happening here is that your competition has high QS, too, and are bidding higher.

The other thing is that you have to make sure your date range is set to after you made your bid changes, so that your previous averages aren't weighing down your data. A trend line is great to look at, too.

Hope this helps!