star_border

High QS, high-bid, mid-volume keywords getting almost no impressions

elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, folks.

I recently set up a very targeted ad group that very succinctly aligns a modest amount of keywords to a few ads to a single landing page. All are extremely relevant to each other and carefully crafted (ie, not low-quality, but seem like pretty good content), and this is reflected in the very high quality scores I am seeing for many of the targeted keywords.

However, my ads appear to not be triggering impressions. I realize the ad group is young (OK, I set it up yesterday), but so far it has received 50 impressions yesterday (garnering a not so bad 6% CTR) and 7 impressions so far today. If I try searching for any of my keywords (in Diagnostics and live) I can never get my ads to trigger. In these cases, I am searching an a keyword where I am showing a quality score of 10, and a max bid that is 15 times higher than the first-page bid estimate.

Shouldn't my ad show in these instances?

My budget is moderate. I have other ad groups in the same campaign that are racking up impressions. Are they stealing all the impressions from the new guy?

I have the campaign set to "Optimize for conversions." Is that the other element of the problem? Do the new guys have to prove themselves before they can start racking up impressions? If so, how can they do that if they aren't getting any impressions?

P.S. I want these in groups in the same campaign because they have some related terms and I don't want them to compete with each other. That makes sense... doesn't it?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High QS, high-bid, mid-volume keywords getting almost no impressions

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey elm,

It's very possible that the keywords/ads in your other ad groups are being triggered by search queries since all keywords across the campaign are closely related, therefore 'stealing' the impressions. You can try adding negative keywords to the various ad groups in order to align the right keyword & ads. For example, if you have two ad groups 1.) red widgets 2.) blue widgets, in the same campaign, you could add -"red" to the blue widget ad group and -"blue" to the red widget ad group so that the proper ads are triggered.

It's also possible that the other high-volume ad groups are running through your campaigns daily budget before the new ad group has time to accrue all potential impressions.

I don't think 'Optimize for Conversions' is the problem, but I would go ahead and switch to 'Optimize for Clicks' as this will show your ad as often as possible versus 'Optimize for Conversions' which will only show your ad when Google thinks the search queries and ad position will convert for you.

Your not getting a 'low search volume' message next to your keywords are you? If so, Google will only show ads for these peridocally until they notice an uptick in volume, in which case they would begin to serve ads regularly.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have additional questions & I'll try to help out!

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi elm,

Optimize for Conversions doesn't work until you have a certain number of conversions in the past 30 days. I'd go with Bluelon's seggestion to set to optimize for clicks or switch to manul bidding.

Best of Luvck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@BlueIon I figured I wouldn't have to make negative keywords, since this new group has much better quality. The keywords that are currently getting the lions share of impressions have quality scores of 4. The ads in this new group are from 7 to 10. Seems like they would win any auction, no?

Some ads to say "low search volume" (particularly the exact match variants) and some do not. I'm testing on both and getting nothing.

@petebardo (and @BlueIon): I have "optimize for conversions" and manual bidding. The optimize is on the ad rotation, not the bid. But saying that makes me think perhaps I do need to turn that off for a bit. Adwords is trying to optimize based on past performance, and it doesn't know what these new guys are up to...? Still, I thought a great quality score would at least get them some air time.

General update: it has been ~7 hours since my original post and that ad group now has 63 impressions. The rest of the ad groups in the campaign (there are five others) collectively have racked up 10,606 today. When I search for the terms that have garnered some impressions, I still don't see my ads. One of these has a QS of 10, a first-page-estimate of 1 cent, a bid of 36 cents, and a status of "eligible." The campaign still has 45% of its daily budget left, and there is only ~25% of the day left.

elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

P.S. For tonight, I've just changed the rotation to "Show ads more evenly for 90 days, then optimize for clicks" (never seen that option before). And I'll see how it does overnight.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Thanks for the contributions here guys, some great thoughts here. 

One thing I'd recommend here would be looking up your Impression Share report to see how many of the available impressions you are receiving. This report will also let you see whether it is your budget or ad rank that are problematic and will help you guide your optimisation. This link explains this further. 

Also, please bear in mind that new campaigns or ad groups will need some time for their performance to build up and stabilise. 

Hope this helps!

A.