AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High Performing Ad with 90% Display Impression Share Lost?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Okay, this one's had me stumped for a few weeks - it may take a seasoned veteran to figure it out!

So I'm running a successful display campaign targeting only computers, with bid adjustments for mobile and tablets decreased 100%. My goal is to max out computers and then introduce mobile bidding, slowly. But as it stands... I've got a problem with low traffic and low impressions.

Display Planner shows anywhere from 20MIL to 100MIL impressions/week for my current keyword targeting. I started in the $0.40-0.60 range per click, except that traffic was laughable and my avg ad position about 1.8 to 2, not to mention only getting maybe 100 clicks daily with a $200/day budget. I switched to accelerated delivery, and still almost no traffic.

I've increased my Max CPC (manual bidding) incrementally to its current $1.40 (!!!) and it's bumped my avg position to about 1.3. My ads are performing VERY well (both text and banner) with high relative CTR and my avg CPC is now closer to $0.80. My conversion rates and ROI is high enough that I'm still profiting, but my market isn't that big and there's no way the competition is that high. I've checked the placements from a neutral computer (which hasn't been cookied at these placements) and there are only a few competitors, so I'm baffled as to why I have to max out the CPC so much.

Here's the really odd part... I'm still only at about 13% impression share with 87% IS Lost due to Ad Rank (still on computers only)... How in the world is that possible? I spoke with support and they said I'm averaging an ad position of 1.0 with very high performing ads... therefore, I've gotta have a good Quality Score. Yet why am I losing all the impressions? My goal is to increase daily adspend to about $800-$1000, but when I try bumping it up, nothing happens because Google already struggles to reach my daily budget and it makes no difference.

I would LOVE some help with this. I would especially love if somebody pointed out an incorrect setting that might be making my CPC's so high... because $1.40 can't be normal for the Display Network (and doesn't align at all with what the Display Planner shows). BTW, I've tried the automated "Maximize Clicks" strategy and still almost no traffic at 'low' CPCs.

Thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Christopher,

I'd raise your bid higher, say $2, just for a short while. I'd expect that you'd start showing on sites you hadn't previously, and your impression share will rise. You'll be able to new sites in the placements report.

Why this would be contrary to the planner, I can't say. But often it is the sites you have to bid highest to appear on that convert best (which is why they cost more, it is an auction).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion, I suppose that does make sense being an auction. I'll give it a go, but I am a bit nervous. Even though my campaigns are currently performing well, I'm a small business and don't have excessive funds for experimenting. I'm nervous to increase CPC in case the conversion rates fall and I start losing money. However, if I keep things as is, I'll never be able to increase my daily adspend anyway. I'll try up to $1.75 and see if things improve. Hopefully, conversions will stay consistent.

I'll update with results.