3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High Impression, OK Click Through's, Little Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we have just under 500,000 impressions a week, 1,300 click throughs, but very limited conversions (Budgets are all limited, but with trials on upping budget to fit with suggested enhanced capping, still no change in conversions) - all landing pages go through to the right product pages, we're price competative, all pricing is shown in the advert -  but just not getting the conversions.....any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High Impression, OK Click Through's, Little Conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

What is is your cost per conversion what is the theme of your products  ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

With that many impressions, you may have the content network enabled. If so, you should not mix search and content. In fact, few of my campaigns use the content network.

If you want to use the content (aka display) network, the method is totally different. It's a passive form of advertising vs an active one for search. You shouldn't use active ads in a passive environment. And being passive, conversions are generally lower.

Next is that you can get oodles of people to your store but if you're not convincing them to buy, they won't. Price usually has little to do with it. You must convince the visitor that they need your product and that it's a better value than competitors.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cost per conversion is high compared to the individual product price, core theme is warehouse racking, parts bins, shelving, wire baskets, retail shop fitting www.filplastic.co.uk - All products are price competitive as our delivery is a lot less than our competitors and some items are free delivery - this is clearly shown on the product image.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes search and display campaigns are separate

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Fliptastic, sorry I missed this thread first time around...

As Steve was suggesting, for your product I'd be surprised if the Display network provided useful results and I'd be concentrating solely on the Search network - at least until such time as that made a profit.

Assuming a good AdWords Campaign, poor conversion rates are usually down to the website itself.  I've had a quick look at yours and the site seems very nice and simple to use but there is one massive fly in the ointment.  I picked a couple of parts bins at 45p each and went to checkout and your shipping charges were £15!  Plus VAT!.  Products with a total value of £0.90 were going to cost me £19.08.

Obviously for such a low value order, £15 delivery is going to be a primary reason for not completing the sale.  Rapid Racking, probably one of your closest competitors, offers free delivery for all online orders and that's a big pull.  I always recommend offering free delivery - even when it's not actually free but worked into the price of the product.  People hate paying for delivery and they especially hate what appears to be too much for delivery.

I do actually think your site is nicer and easier to use than Rapid's.  It actually took me some time to find a comparable bin to the one I'd picked from you so I think you've got great potential to sell well online with that site.  But the delivery worries me.

As for AdWords, I wonder what Keywords you're using.  I searched for a number of what I'd consider to be obvious terms for the products you sell and have not seen a single Ad from you, although I saw your organic listing several times and Ads from your competitors.

It's very important to test AdWords properly.  Although it's good advice to use a small budget on a tightly focused set of Keywords for testing, that budget has to be "enough" to give the test a fair chance.  If your available cash is limited, rather than spending £50 a day for a month, you're better off spending £200 a day for a week as a test (or whatever is appropriate) since if your daily budget is too low you could be missing sales opportunities that make it look like AdWords is ineffective when in fact a full budget would bring much better overall results.  My typical example here is that it's like only putting flyers under a dozen or so car wipers in a parking lot with 200 cars in it then assuming that's an ineffective sales drive.  If you put flyers under all 200 cars you may have made sales to return a profit.

However, I would strongly advise you consider your position re. shipping charges, examine data from Analytics and perhaps set up event triggers for where items are placed in the basket and no sale is completed before you spend more money on AdWords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon, much appreciated - I'd love to give free delivery on all shipping as competitors are £30+ on orders when you get to basket. What obvious keywords would you think of using that we're not already using - as we have spent a lot of time researching keywords. As we have tracked and monitored many keyword options from analytics and also attributed alot of negative keywords to campaigns also.We track basket drop off also, which isnt a high % - as we are quite transparent at basket that shipping and VAT are added. Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Filplastic, well, as far as shipping goes, as I said, at least one of your competitors is actually already free, and their Ads appear very frequently.  

If you're not seeing a bail out on checkout, are you saying your visitors don't even put items in their basket?

Search terms?  I tried "retail shelving", "warehouse racking", "parts bins", "office shelves" and a handful of others.  I still haven't seen a single Ad for you.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon - Yes we use all of those keywords - I'll check that they are all showing. Thanks