AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High CTR yet "Below average Expected CTR"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

I've been running for a campaign now for perhaps 2 weeks, the problem i have is that many of my keywords are getting decent CTR's (between 2-4%) except the Expected CTR is coming up as "below average" and is really holding my QS down. It's been like this since day one so i figured it just needs to some time to settle, but that hasn't made too much difference, anyone have any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High CTR yet "Below average Expected CTR"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

Couple of take aways as per my understanding:-

If your expected CTR is below average, then you might consider adding a higher keyword matching type. For example if it's coming for phrase, try exact and see and measure the performance after wards.

Similarly try changing the content of your ad and try to add your keyword which goes in sync with your ad, so that it looks more intact and specific.

The whole idea is to have excellent CTR so that it improves your Quality Score. Also note that this process is gradual and not instant.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, although there are no hard and fast rules over what is "good" or "bad" CTR, even 4% may not be competitive in your market.  CTR can often run into double figures, sometimes quite high doubles so if AdWords believes your CTR is below expectations, it's probably right.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses guys, i'll look into and give your suggestions a go.