AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High CTR, but very low QS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

I recently inherited a legacy account that's mostly a mess, so I'm developing a strategy for how to optimize it. However, one thing that's puzzling to me is that I'm finding keywords with very low QS (1s and 2s) that seem to be performing well, even though Adwords has the 'rarely shown due to low QS' indicator. For instance, I have one keyword that in the past 3 months has received ~23,000 impressions, with about ~1600 clicks, for a CTR of 7.1%, but still only has a QS of 2 (with the 'rarely shown due to low QS' indicator, even though it's been shown almost 8,000 times a month). I have another keyword with a QS of 1, but has been shown more than 1,000 times in the past 3 months, with ~30 clicks and a 3.1% CTR.

I know that CTR isn't the only variable that factors into QS, but my understanding is that it's the most important one. Both of these keywords could definitely have better ad copy/landing page relevance, and I'm working to improve that, but it still doesn't seem to explain the incredibly low QS. So my question is: has anyone encountered something like this? And has someone who's inheriting this account, what would your recommendation be? I know that generally speaking, the best practice would be to remove the low QS keywords, and move them to another ad group w/ rewritten copy, so as not to bring down the higher-performing keywords in the ad group, but given their decent performance, I'm not sure if that best practice still holds.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High CTR, but very low QS?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Justin,

There's a couple of things that could be going on here.  Firstly, impressions and clicks are not in themselves a factor of Quality Score - in other words, the actual numbers won't affect them, other than when AdWords switches from the initial score to the measured one.  Secondly, yes, CTR is the major factor, but to be honest, 7% and certainly not 3%, are not particularly high values for the Search network and it could be that compared to other advertisers, these figures are quite low.

Another possibility is that if there are a large number of low Quality Scores in the Account, they could be "dragging down" the other better Keywords.  Another factor in QS is the performance of the Account as a whole and if you've got, say 800 Keywords at 1/10, it's very likely they'll be having a substantial impact on the other 200 Keywords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

How long has it been since you took over the account?

In a very poor performing accounts, which have performed really bad (as your QSs suggest: QSs of 1-2) it could be  very hard to bring them back on track.

I'd even say that in rare cases it might be worth to consider closing the account, and open a new one from fresh. (But, I would first exhaust  all other options of campaign optimization, before taking this path)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Justin,

You also need to look at the match type of these keywords (broad?), and also look into search query report and see how relevant that be. As you said best practice is to move this keyword to dedicated adgroup with dedicated adcopy and landing page. But at the same time I would recommend looking at search query report and collect potential keywords from there. Since Ad extensions and ad formats are being part of Ad Rank formula, you need to add those as well.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,
Quality Score also depends on the way your ads are received by people who click your ads ... You have to check whether visitors who are coming to your website through ads are getting what they expected or not. You have to check the bounce rate of paid campaign visitors and particularly the bounce rate of visitors coming thorugh keywords with very less quality score.
If you found high bounce rate then you have to think over that keywords.

If your bidding is high obviously your get high CTR but, the matter is... it should be useful to people those who click your ads.

Conversion tracking is also best practice to measure the success of your keywords.. Anyhow you are getting high CTR so you have to check whether you are making any conversions or not for each click.

I hope this will help you..

Thank you..

John Paul.