1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High CTR but low quality score and high CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying out some keywords that have very low impression rates; they're not common search times, but they do come up a few times a day.  I am baffled by the low quality scores and would like to understand the reasons.  For example, in 60 days, one keyword collected 18 impressions and 3 clicks, for a CTR of 16.7%, and is costing $1.73 per click; another collected 404 impressions and 20 clicks, for a CTR of 4.95% and a CPC of $1.32.  Both are rated 4/10.  I would have expected the CPC to move lower, but it doesn't seem to be.

The landing page quality is good, I think.  Not sure how to tell, other than the quality score, but I think it's a pretty direct match.

I'm running these keywords to try to figure out what keywords to spend real money on; I suspect I need lots of very rare keywords, rather than more generic keywords with lots of impressions but poor CTR.  But I thought that that approach led to lower CPC, which doesn't appear to be the case.  What am I missing?  

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike C
September 2015

Re: High CTR but low quality score and high CPC

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Mike C,

I think you would need to wait to get more data before trying to work out QS info on these types of keywords. If they are new in the account you generally get other advertisers average QS until your keywords have enough data to rate them vs the competition. We are talking about very low numbers over a reasonable length of time so I'm not sure I'd even worry about them too much to be honest.

I have found that for certain keywords, it's virtually impossible to get the QS above 7 and if you take a sample of pretty much any account, and look at the QS vs keyword count of your keywords, the higher the keyword count, the easier it is to get a high QS.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get a 9-10/10 on 1 and 2 term phrases, it's just quite hard in some cases.

Re: High CTR but low quality score and high CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adam

I think you're right; I just need to wait for more numbers.  I do have 9s and 10s on other keywords in other areas that are similarly specialized, so I think it must be the lack of data.  I'll just have to be patient.  Thanks for the reply!

Mike