AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High CPC and Low AD Rank

J R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
J R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have created a new adwords campaign. My quality score is fluctuating between 4 and 7 nothing to great now...but i am sure it will improve once the clicks start.

Most of the keywords show a very high cpc ( more than $10 for majority of keywords and some $30 per click ). This doesnt make sense to me. All the keywords show low ad rank, so they are not running i guess. My campaign is pretty solid. Here is the structure i am using

Campaign -> Dentists

Ad Groups -> SEO for dentists

Keywords -> Tight keywords matched to the adgroup.

I have the following questions

1. What is drop in the cpc i can expect once the campaign maures. I mean what percentage of drop in cpc i can expcet because the current cpc are outrageous.

2. Any way to ged rid of the low ad rank without increasing the budget too much. Honestly i cant afford these skyrocket rates.

Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks

Re: High CPC and Low AD Rank

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey JR,

It's hard to say what CPC drop you can expect. It will depend on several things, especially your click-through-rate, which is largely determined by your ad quality, the broadness of your keywords, and the negative keywords that you add. The reason your CPCs are so high is likely because they mention the term "dentist". Dentistry and medical keywords can often be very expensive. The more you can add negatives and be specific that you are offering SEO services and not dentistry services, the better you'll be. The likelihood is that many dentists could be bidding on broad "dentist" keywords and could be bidding pretty high. Therefore, there will always be some competition on your keywords even if you keep them at exact, phrase and modified broad.

All that to say, your QS is going to be your best chance for being able to bid on those keywords and they could still remain pretty expensive. I have to say, I'm actually surprised that some start at $10, they can often be much, much more.

If you have any other niches that you serve, I would think that there could be less expensive ones to try to target.

I hope this helps!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
In addition to Amy's anwser. The quality score you are seeing now before running your campaigns is the initial quality score. This initial Quality Score is determined by each keyword’s performance history for other advertisers. And only once the keyword starts accruing statistics, the system then evaluates its Quality Score based on its recent performance. This doesn't happen dynamically but is a gradual process.

Read more:- https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-...

I would also recommend watching this great video " Insights on the AdWords Auction" ;-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

J R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
J R
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Amy and Ahmed. I do understand what you just said but how do you reach a decent amount of impressions and clicks without spending too much ( initially ).

$10 a click or more is simply unaffordable for a small business like me, so is there any other way to at least get started on raking up impressions and clicks.

maybe Dynamic keyword insertion ? What do you guys think?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
If I were in your shoes, I would do the following (briefly):-

1) Target specific long tail keywords. The clicks from these keywords are much more likely to convert compared to other broad keywords.
2) Stop poor quality score keywords. The lower your quality score, the more money you will pay per click.
3) Use more restrictive match type, I don't want to get any wrong clicks that can cost me an arm and leg.
4) Expand your -ve keywords list consistently. In order to ensure excluding non relevant traffic.
5) Set bid adjustment across devices, locations and time of day. So you can increase/decrease bids based on what ad preform.
6) Keep optimizing and testing different ads and different lading pages.

DKI could also improve your quality score, if they are used correctly.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I tend to agree with everything Ahmed said. The only exception I would make would be that you can target lower QS keywords, as long as they are still affordable. If you use broad at all, I would start with modified broad and make sure you make terms like "SEO" modified so that you'll be less likely to compete with dental offices. Don't be afraid to start with a small set of keywords and expand out.

Also, target competitor names and more general SEO terms. Use things like RLSA and remarketing to try to make sure you are continuing to engage people who haven't contacted you yet.

Keep a close eye on your locations, devices, and networks and continuously make exclusions and add negatives. Also, it doesn't always pay to be in position 1. I would aim for 1-3 when it is affordable but also know that if you are in lower positions, you'll likely still get some traffic. Once you've ran ads for awhile, you can look at top vs side reports to decide if it's worth bumping keywords up into higher positions.

DKI will probably help your CTR, which would in turn help your QS but, again, make sure your keyword list is very relevant so that nothing is dyamically inserted that could be too broad - otherwise you could wind up with clicks that weren't that relevant and paying a lot for it!

Hope this helps!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Amy is right about this one. If they are affordable, you can keep them. On the other hand, if they are costly, you better stop them.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

JR,

You have had some sage advice from both Ahmed and Amy.

However there is one statement from AMY in which I disagree and have seen it a few time so I will make the stand here and give the reasons.

"Also, target competitor names "

While this may seem like something that can easily grab some potential clients away from XYZ Company by bidding on there terms, you are creating a situation in which you will be held accountable for years to come.

What i mean by this, is you are playing with Fire against some people who are very very well versed in the game of Adwords and SEO.

Are these the type of people you want on your bad side in the future? Do you want to play this game against people whose "KUNGFU" may be way stronger then yours? That may come after all your clients. Not hard to back track an SEO, based on their patterns,,

I say this not only in an ethical manner, but also in the potential to strike a nerve with those that are "Unethical".

Something to think about in your "SEO for dentist" marketing plans..
Just Saying. And no I am not in that market Smiley Happy