AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High Bounce Rate: Is it because of the look/feel of my website?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am getting extremely poor results with Google Adwords.  CTR not too bad.  But Bounce Rate is terrible: around 90%. Extremely Frustrating.

My Home Page (which has served as landing page for many ads): www.embeddedanalytics.com

I have also tried using  this page as a landing page:

www.embeddedanalytics.com/embeddedanalyticsforagencies.html

The keyword I am targeting is: +google +analytics +reporting

As I say, bounce rate is in the 90%  range.  However, the referrals I get from a lot of forum postings on StackOverflow are much better (70%-80%).  Example referring pages:

show-google-analytics-dashboard-on-my-site

how-do-i-display-google-analytics-reports-or-realtime-report-on-my-website-page

Now I can understand getting bounces, especially for Broad search.  However, what frustrates me so much is I am getting these high bounce rates for EXTREMELY relevant searches.  Examples:

displaying google analytics data on website
show google analytics on my site
display google analytics dashboard on website
display google analytics on my website
google analtics displa on your site
google analytics html widget

At least the people coming from StackOverflow always click on my pricing page!!!!!  With Adwords I almost feel like it is a robot clicking on the ads - just that frustrating and feel like I am throwing money away.

Which leads me to questions:

• Are my landing pages that bad???  I read many articles about having "call to action" (I do - sign up link above the fold).  What else could I do??

• Or could it be that I need to have a more professional looking website??  One with more graphics??  My thought about this is that my target audience is used to using Google Adwords and Analytics, which are for the most part minimal on the graphics and don't use "cutting edge" browser technologies.  So I figure maybe they won't expect it from my site.  But maybe I am wrong here.

Anyways, if anyone has some opinions or can share any insight I would appreciate it.  I would even be willing to hire someone on a consulting basis to get this to work better (the ironic thing is that I am targeting SEM agencies - but at this point not quite ready to hire one for a long drawn out "monthly" campaign costing $1000+/month).

Thanks.

Mark.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High Bounce Rate: Is it because of the look/feel of my website?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I would  strongly urge you to read the case studies in our "user articles" section. (In the upper navigation bar).

You'll find there many case studies about real businesses (similar to yours),  discussing  landing page optimization, ad copy optimization, and keyword match types - all aimed to improve CTR and increase conversions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mark,

I agree with Moshe. Your best bet is conversion rate optimization (CRO). I visited your page and I didn't immediately see a CTA as to where I should click. What is the goal? If you'd like people to contact you, I'd suggest adding a form or a large phone number. At first glance, the format looks a little bit like a blog so people might be navigating away without realizing the services that you offer.

Also, keep in mind, the people that you are targeting are very web savvy with high expectations for landing pages, so the more modern/professional you can make the look & feel, the better. Right now the format/style looks a little dated. A header image and a new color scheme would probably help out. There's no one end-all-be-all CRO strategy, different things work for different companies but I think there are some real opportunities.

+google +analytics +reporting seems like a good fit but also keep in mind that people searching for that could be looking for a lot of different things. I'd consider looking into some additional, more descriptive keywords and see if they perform better (after you've made your landing page optimizations).

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Amy. Yes - I see I was missing a CTA.. I justed added "Sign Up for a 15 day trial now - No Credit Card Required!" (and in the past I always had this same CTA - but this recently added landing page i forgot). Thanks.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
"User Articles" on this site (i.e. en.adwords-community.com)?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't see any "User Arcticles". I do see "Articles". And when clicking on that I see "User Arcticles". But then appears I would have to search for "Case Studies". I did find one nice article. But it was more about display advertising.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Mark;
Here you are;
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/AdWords-Case-Studies-Community-Account-Optimiz...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’