AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Hi! Can you please help me with my keywords, and provide a little back ground knowledge?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone. I have seen all the videos and done the reading, but I still cannot seem to get quality keywords. I work for a small asset management firm that mainly does low risk, long-term investing.

I do not know whether it is my industry or my keywords that will just not give me a quality output. All CPC's seem incredibly high (which is probably the industry) or I get hyphens in every column. I tried the "numerous specific keyword" approach from 10-100 searches, and still got nowhere because of these hyphans. If I road out that approach would it be okay, and google just cant predict if someone will search my more specific keyword?
Granted my budget is probably 30-40/day.
Please let me know if you have any advice, I am sure there are things I have not thought of. I appretiate it greatly.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author The Clark Group A
November 2016

Hi! Can you please help me with my keywords, and provide a little back ground knowledge?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It sounds like you are working in the keyword planner, and referring to numbers you are getting from that tool?

During Q3 2016 Google had to make a change to the keyword planning tool due to misuse. Accounts that are below a spending threshold per month are only able to see limited search volume information. Here's an article about it - http://searchengineland.com/google-officially-throttling-keyword-planner-data-low-spending-adwords-a...

As John stated above the best keywords in the financial industry are likely to be pricey. However it will depend upon your campaign, the quality scores you end up getting in it, your geo targeting, and related factors. Remember in AdWords we are dealing with an auction market so the most valuable (aka, "likely to convert") keywords will almost always be bid up higher.  In financial terms, any that aren't are a "temporary market inefficiency", like an underpriced stock. 15+ years into AdWords, there aren't too many of those leftSmiley Happy

I have found that it is best to target the keywords which are most relevant to your business, and not to place "too much" emphasis on volume estimate or CPC estimates from keyword research tools. One of the best sources for keywords is to determine them from leading sites in that business sector.

I use phrase, exact, and modified broad match to create a "dragnet" around all likely keywords, then by monitoring the search term stream (in an active campaign) I am likely to discover any high volume keyword that I may have missed. So... just creating a campaign and then utilizing the data on impressions, clicks, and conversions is some of my best keyword research.

If you end up with keywords in your campaign that are too low of volume, they can always be removed later.  However, especially in geo-targeted campaigns, even keywords flagged by Google as "low search volume" can turn out to be winners, delivering clicks and conversions. 

If you just use keywords which are known "high volume" search terms you are likely to end up competing with big sites, especially in a sector like financial investing. That can work out OK if you are geo-targeted within a local area, but in a nationwide campaign that can be tough to compete against. 

View solution in original post

Re: Hi! Can you please help me with my keywords, and provide a little back ground knowledge?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @The Clark Group A can you explain what you mean by "quality output"?  Do you mean your Keywords are not getting any impressions or clicks?  Or something else?

Almost all services in the financial sector will tend to have high click costs; it's the nature of the business.  What Max CPC are you setting for the Keywords you're trying?  It could be the CPC simply isn't high enough to win many (any) auctions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jon,

Sorry about the ambiguity. I do just mean clicks, impressions, CTR are all very low. 

Also, I have played around with the max CPC quite a bit, however, I run into budget issues very quickly. I have been trying to stay around 4-7 depending on googles projections. 

Possibly any keyword work arounds? Does specific and high in number ever work?

Thank you,

Clark Group

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author The Clark Group A
November 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It sounds like you are working in the keyword planner, and referring to numbers you are getting from that tool?

During Q3 2016 Google had to make a change to the keyword planning tool due to misuse. Accounts that are below a spending threshold per month are only able to see limited search volume information. Here's an article about it - http://searchengineland.com/google-officially-throttling-keyword-planner-data-low-spending-adwords-a...

As John stated above the best keywords in the financial industry are likely to be pricey. However it will depend upon your campaign, the quality scores you end up getting in it, your geo targeting, and related factors. Remember in AdWords we are dealing with an auction market so the most valuable (aka, "likely to convert") keywords will almost always be bid up higher.  In financial terms, any that aren't are a "temporary market inefficiency", like an underpriced stock. 15+ years into AdWords, there aren't too many of those leftSmiley Happy

I have found that it is best to target the keywords which are most relevant to your business, and not to place "too much" emphasis on volume estimate or CPC estimates from keyword research tools. One of the best sources for keywords is to determine them from leading sites in that business sector.

I use phrase, exact, and modified broad match to create a "dragnet" around all likely keywords, then by monitoring the search term stream (in an active campaign) I am likely to discover any high volume keyword that I may have missed. So... just creating a campaign and then utilizing the data on impressions, clicks, and conversions is some of my best keyword research.

If you end up with keywords in your campaign that are too low of volume, they can always be removed later.  However, especially in geo-targeted campaigns, even keywords flagged by Google as "low search volume" can turn out to be winners, delivering clicks and conversions. 

If you just use keywords which are known "high volume" search terms you are likely to end up competing with big sites, especially in a sector like financial investing. That can work out OK if you are geo-targeted within a local area, but in a nationwide campaign that can be tough to compete against. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This was amazingly helpful. I do have a question about what you said in regard to determing keywords from leaders in the industry. Where exactly can I do this? I really like the idea of creating keywords around these inorder to, as you called it, dragnet.

We are a smaller firm so I am likely to stick to a local region. 

Thank you so much for the response.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You're welcome.  Regarding determining keywords from leaders in an industry, that can be done manually by studying their websites.  Look for the phrases (keywords) they are using to describe their services, and in articles on their sites. 

There are also 3rd party paid tools available which can "spider" a site to extract the keywords.  However, as good business practice we do not refer to or promote 3rd party products in this neutral help forum.  And, it should not be necessary to pay for services like that unless you are doing this sort of thing all the time.

For a small, regionally targeted campaign you should be able to figure out the popular keywords by looking at other sites.  Then try entering those keywords into Google.com search and you will see what other sites are using them, and if there are PPC ads being purchased for those keywords.  As they say, "it isn't rocket science"Smiley Happy

Regarding a "dragnet", if you find a keyword you like it is good to run it this way (i'll use "certified financial planner" as an example):

[certified financial planner]

"certified financial planner"

certified +financial +planner

The exact match will pick off the precise, exact search terms, allowing for tiny variations e.g. plural forms. 

If you watch your search term report the phrase match version will find new keywords embedded within longer keywords, some of which you'll want to add as new phrase and exact match. 

The "modified broad match" will snare (match against) a broader range of entered search terms, those which (must) contain both "financial" and "planner".  There will also be more mismatches so you may want to discontinue it after an exploratory period, say 4 to 8 weeks. 

Hope that helps, and best of luck!