AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help with tracking conversions in Google Adwords including View-Through Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Currently to track conversions in Google Adwords we use the following:

1. Calls Goals (non call extension calls) imported from Google Analytics

2. Form Leads Goals imported from Google Analytics

3. Calls from Ads (call extension calls) set up through Google Adwords

I want to also include View-Through conversions, but I understand that in order to set them up you need to set up conversion tracking through Google Adwords using their script.  If we set that up then I would have overlap in conversions since importing from Google Analytics. 

My question is what would be the best way to set up conversion tracking to allow all call leads, call extension leads, form leads, and view-through leads without having overlap?

Thank you for you help,

Shannon

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Help with tracking conversions in Google Adwords including View-Through Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Shannon,

If I understand correctly you want to track view-through Form Leads driven by ads on the GDN. Once you place the AdWords tag on your site could you simply delete the conversion type setup to pull in Form Leads from Google Analytics? The AdWords tag would track both click-through and view-through for that conversion type so it would be unnecessary to pull-in anymore. Note that one difference in Form Leads tracked by the AdWords tag as opposed to the Google Analytics tag is that the AdWords tag will not attribute orders across channels whereas the Analytics tag probably is (meaning you will track more with AdWords!).
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Help with tracking conversions in Google Adwords including View-Through Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Shannon,

If I understand correctly you want to track view-through Form Leads driven by ads on the GDN. Once you place the AdWords tag on your site could you simply delete the conversion type setup to pull in Form Leads from Google Analytics? The AdWords tag would track both click-through and view-through for that conversion type so it would be unnecessary to pull-in anymore. Note that one difference in Form Leads tracked by the AdWords tag as opposed to the Google Analytics tag is that the AdWords tag will not attribute orders across channels whereas the Analytics tag probably is (meaning you will track more with AdWords!).
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jim,

That is what I was thinking. Thank you for your response! This would work the same for an account that counts transactions as conversions? For example, if we are importing transactions from GA we would then pause that and only track transactions through the AdWords tag to allow for any click-through conversions (in search and display) and view-through conversions (in display).

Thanks,

Shannon

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes that sounds correct!

-Jim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great. Do you know if I pause the import of Form Lead Goals in from GA if that will erase conversion data from prior? Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You can't technically "pause" a conversion action; instead you would need to remove it. Once removed the data for that historical conversion action should still be available in the interface.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, you are right. Thanks for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Shannon, also note that along with view through conversions, cross device conversions can ONLY be reported through the AdWords conversation tag. Meaning that importing any goals from GA should be a last resort. GTM is your friend is a work flow like this Smiley Happy