Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help with specific targeting on display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I have a client who wishes to show their display ads on car listing pages on gumtree.com.au i.e

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lansvale/cars-vans-utes/2012-bmw-116i-f20-black-8-speed-automatic-hat...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/launceston-7250/cars-vans-utes/2013-mercedes-benz-a180-176-be-south-s...

etc. What is the best way to go about this so we can get it to show on car listing only pages as accurately as we can? 

We have tried multiple different configurations but still getting clicks from a lot of non-relevant pages

Look forward to hearing your expertise!

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help with specific targeting on display network

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

If I were you, I would create a separate ad group for this only management placement and use keyword targeting (e.g cars, vans) as well. This would make your ads appear only on the car related pages on the site.

You can use the Display Planner tool to get keywords ideas from the cars webpages on the site . Choose the first option in the Display Planner tool "Get Ideas and Estimates", enter any car webpage URL in the landing page field, and the Display Planner will crawl that page attempting to decipher what keywords describe the content on that page and then suggest keywords based on what it finds. Display Planner:- https://adwords.google.com/da/DisplayPlanner/Home?__c=9395707713&__u=2609058273&authuser=0#start

Don't forget also to use negative keywords, this will ensure that your ads appear only on the most relevant car webpages and reach the most interested customers.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jarret B,

Welcome to the forum !

You should go for managed placement.Find out some relevent websites based on your objective & target those site to show your ads.You can use the Adwords tool "display planner" to find out your relevent websites.

To know about managed placement kindly visit the following site:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6051096?hl=en&rd=1

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The best way to go about this is to generate a list of placements you want to target. You can do this by searching, or by using the placement tool....

Then copy this list into your placements under targeting and make sure you select "Target and Bid" and the targeting option....

There are two options - target and bid - which means that you will target only these placements and bid on them... and Bid Only - which means you can add a separate bid (usually because you want to bid higher on these placements) but that Google can show the ads if any of your other targeting triggers an ad impression.... this is probably what is happening in your case.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Guys,

really appreciate the answers! Ahmed thanks, i haven't used the display planner to get keyword ideas from specific URL's you put in so i think i should give that a try. Is it more often better than not to go with what google suggests? How should we split up the campaign - should it be by car brand?

Gumtree is a massive site and it is only valuable to us if we can get our display ads on those car listing pages.

Any other suggestions id be keen to hear, thanks again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Another thing - can you set a rule that only displays your ads on pages which have specific content or words? i.e "car"

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jarret,

You can add keywords along with your managed placement sites to make sure that your ads are showing on the relevent pages.

In your case you add the placement as gumtree.com.au and add keywords like "car".So your ad will come up on those pages of gumtree.com.au where "car" is mentioned in the content

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shuva

Yeah we have tried that and we get way too many non relevant pages still. How can we be certain that it will show up on only the pages we want? Can we put in a keyword which is only unique to car listing pages?