5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help with my account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I decide which keywords I should keep in my campaign?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help with my account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,

Pretty generic question. You should first identify right set of targeted keywords for your business service and then target them inside AdWords. Keyword Planner is the best tool to accomplish that. Once you have structured your account and it starts accruing clicks, keep monitoring it on regular basis. Based on that you can decide which keywords are bringing in targeted traffic and which not.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Next step is set conversion, connect with Google Analytics and when you have traffic as Pankaj wrote you see in search terms effective KWs which have conversions.

Tomas

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,

Choose the keywords as per the user intent. for B2B and B2C, the user intent will be different and hence the keywords will also be different for both,

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Chris,

I would start by looking at your Search Terms Report. Use this to filter out any search terms that are triggering your ads for things that are irrelevant to your business. Once you have done this, you can eliminate unwanted clicks by turning these search terms into a negative keyword.

Following this, it is essential to review your keywords regularly to see which ones are preforming well, and which ones have room for improvement. Look at the Quality Score of each one, and from this, begin to look into how you can optimize the keywords with low quality score. For example, is your keyword relevant to the connected Ad and Landing Page? Look at the cost per click, and how many conversions you're getting per keyword. If your CPC is low and your conversion rate is high, then obviously you will want to keep these keywords. However if this is the other way round, you may want to look into this to find out why people are not converting - Is your landing page relevant? Is it easy to navigate? Have you applied the keyword to the ad text and the landing page?

If you're using broad match keywords more than exact and phrase, maybe you should look to reverse that, and use more exact and phrase match. By doing this, it gives you more control over what triggers your ad and you have a higher chance of your ad appearing to the correct and relevant customers for your business. Once you are comfortable your campaigns are profitable with using Exact and Phrase match, then start to experiment using broad match.

I hope this helps, however your question was very broad, and doesn't give much to go on, as you haven't explained what keywords you currently use, and why you want to eliminate any keywords at all.

Jordan Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
you should keep ,
in term of performance :
keywords with good CTR , QS , and relevant to your ads and business
in term of competition
keywords that used by your competitor ,industry and customers Regardless of CTR , QS
in term of location
keywords that related to your business location Regardless of CTR , QS