AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help with managed placement display targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can really assist me with a few of my queries

I am managing a managed placement display campaign for one of my clients soley on this site:

www.gumtree.com.au

They are in the auto industry and only want their rich media ads to show on car listing pages such as

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fyshwick/cars-vans-utes/2005-honda-accord-my06-upgrade-euro-luxury-re...

or

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne-park/cars-vans-utes/2011-holden-captiva-cg-my10-lx-grey-5-spe...

I have been using this managed placement along with keyword targeting to achieve this yet we are still getting many placement URL's which are un-related.

My questions are

1. Is this the best targeting method for what i want to achieve?

2. All car URL's have this unique identifier "cars-vans-utes" - can we only target URL's with this string? Ultimately this would solve our issues

3. On the topic of excluding URL's i have tried this but with gumtree being such a massive site it would be never-ending

4. Any other tips and suggestions to achieve the above?

Thanks guys and look forward to your suggestions 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Help with managed placement display targeting

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Answers inline:

Using a combination of Keywords and Placements, you can show your ads on pages within  placements (like gumtree), that match the theme of your keywords. In your client's case, this is the best way to target, as they only want relevant placements within gumtree.com.au.

Here's an example from the help center:
If you want to show on sites based on your keywords, but you think that your potential customers visit two specific websites, you could add travel-example.com and luxurytravelexample.com as placements, and select "Bid only." Then, you could set a bid on those placements to increase your chances of showing there when your keywords match those placements. Here's the help center link.

2. All car URL's have this unique identifier "cars-vans-utes" - can we only target URL's with this string? Ultimately this would solve our issues.

Unfortunately, this option isn't available. However, if you're looking for specific placements, you can make a note of them and use them as managed placements without any keyword targeting. But considering there are 1000s of them, I'd rather go for keywords+placements.

3. On the topic of excluding URL's i have tried this but with gumtree being such a massive site it would be never-ending.

I agree on this to an extent. However, you can get to a point where the number of irrelevant placements are minimal. I mean, you can run a placement performance report once a week or 15 days and add the irrelevant ones as negatives, so irrelevant placements should be minimal over time.

You can categorize ad groups within the campaign (in case you haven't) based on your client's services, so you can use more specific keywords in each ad group, along with gumtree as a placement. This way your ads should be serving on relevant placements and negatives can take care of a few exceptions.

Hope that helps!

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Help with managed placement display targeting

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Answers inline:

Using a combination of Keywords and Placements, you can show your ads on pages within  placements (like gumtree), that match the theme of your keywords. In your client's case, this is the best way to target, as they only want relevant placements within gumtree.com.au.

Here's an example from the help center:
If you want to show on sites based on your keywords, but you think that your potential customers visit two specific websites, you could add travel-example.com and luxurytravelexample.com as placements, and select "Bid only." Then, you could set a bid on those placements to increase your chances of showing there when your keywords match those placements. Here's the help center link.

2. All car URL's have this unique identifier "cars-vans-utes" - can we only target URL's with this string? Ultimately this would solve our issues.

Unfortunately, this option isn't available. However, if you're looking for specific placements, you can make a note of them and use them as managed placements without any keyword targeting. But considering there are 1000s of them, I'd rather go for keywords+placements.

3. On the topic of excluding URL's i have tried this but with gumtree being such a massive site it would be never-ending.

I agree on this to an extent. However, you can get to a point where the number of irrelevant placements are minimal. I mean, you can run a placement performance report once a week or 15 days and add the irrelevant ones as negatives, so irrelevant placements should be minimal over time.

You can categorize ad groups within the campaign (in case you haven't) based on your client's services, so you can use more specific keywords in each ad group, along with gumtree as a placement. This way your ads should be serving on relevant placements and negatives can take care of a few exceptions.

Hope that helps!

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar