Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help with broad match keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

If you have a broad match keyword within an ad group that is triggering searches for another keyword you have in a different ad group should you add that keyword from the other ad group in as a negative?

Does this make sense?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help with broad match keywords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Well I would say yes. However you need to make sure whether the second keyword is not relevant for the keyword in first adgroup. In case that if you are selling similar kind of products or services this can happen. Adding it as negative in the first ad group will make sure that you are serving your ads to more focused audience only.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nisal,

Thanks for the reply!

All my ad groups are selling the same thing - accommodation. Each campaign is based around a location and ad groups around different themes of keywords. So the keyword that is triggering the other ad group is still relevant - should I not add it as a negative then?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi LauraBburn,

I will recommend you to add only themes words as a negative in the ad groups as per below example.

Ad Group - Five Star Hotel in New York - Add Luxury keywords as a negative in this ad group.

Ad Group - Luxury Hotel in New York - Add "Five Start" keywords as a negative in this ad group.

Please let us know if you have query on this.

Thanks,
Anand

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

It also depends upon the keyword matching options that you may be using. If you are excessively using broad match type keywords, the chances are that they will interfere among different ad groups if the keywords are around the similar themes.

Option of adding embedded negative keyword match types across different ad groups is fine in case you want particular keyword to trigger an ad from a particular ad group.

I would also suggest you to read this help center reference explaining how similar keywords match to search terms:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

My 2 cents!

Pankaj