AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help me work out why drop in conversion rate august...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Since mid august we have had a marked drop in conversion rate. We previously had a rate of 12% and over the course of mid august it dropped to around 7-8%. This has meant our CPA has gone from around £6 to £8-10...

My lovely campaign has gone down the tubes!

I cant really understand why it has changed so much…mainly because all our other metric like CPC, CTR have remained the same - so its only the conversion that has suffered…the landing page has not been changed not the google ads.

I have however made some changes to the campaign late July but they are logical ones which should not have theoretically impacted Conv rate. Eg I made a load of keywords from broad match to exact match. Then late july we increased our budget from £60 to £90 per day. To meet the spending - I decided to change the kw back to broad match. Bear in mind thats how they were before and convertin @ 12%.

I also increased some CPC however our average CPC has only changed from about 0.67 to 0.74p.

I added in a bunch of well performing (but low volume) search terms to my kw list as exact matches.

For the first 3 weeks of increased budget we got the same conversion rate as before which was a good result.

Mid august we tested a product called optimizely which helps you change your landing page and test the changes. However - whenever we switched it on - it seemed to mess up our Google adwords tracking which dropped to practically nothing…I feel paranoid that the optimizely tracking code had some sort of effect - as our results dropped around the time it switched on - however the code is now off the page - and our results are still low.

Despite making some changes late July and mid august they supposedly were logical ones which should not have affected conversion rate...and at the moment I am thinking the following has caused the problem:

Sone renegande broad match terms not converting well I added or switched by mistake...

seasonal downturn

Tinkering with the campaign somehow changed the conversion rate…google taking time to get used to adjustments? Ive heard when you change the match type of a kw it effectively deletes the kw and starts a new one with default ad rank…could this affect the conversion rate? The reason why I wonder this is because I noticed some of our historically best performing kw going from a 15% conversion rate in July - to a 9% late August. 

I think it must be a combination of those...but it still feels like a bit of a mystery.

If not - given our landing page has not changed…what are the things I need to consider which impact conversion rate?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Help me work out why drop in conversion rate august...

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 11
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just to add to what Tom's already mentioned, it'd help to do a quick competitor analysis just to cover all your bases here. If everything else remains the same and people come to your site, barring a conv code glitch, a competitor giving out a better offer on their LP might also sway people towards them.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi- this has happened to me to, and I am constantly making changes so I never know just what to blame.

First thing I would check:  Have the quality scores of your keywords dropped?  If I notice a decline in traffic and conversions chances are that when I check my account my best performing keywords have dropped from a 7 to a 3 (some days I say intentionally, other days I calm down and say its just the algorithims doing their job).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hi thanks for your reply

Interesting - I will have to take a look at quality score. 

However - I assume quality score would affect traffic and maybe average CPC....but not conversions and conversion rate?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's been my experience that having the QS on my best keywords for conversion dropped has lead to poorer quality traffic overall.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

interesting...so you think if the quality score is lower then the keyword conversion lowers? Is there any explanation why this could happen?

The only way I could imagine this happening would be if the lower quality score = lower down the page result. Perhaps a lower page result could mean a person who goes down there is less likely to convert?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rather that your previously excellent keywords have been hit with a QS hit, so they don't get used as much and cost you more when they are used.  If this is true than other, less desireable keywords are being used more often, resulting in poorer quality traffic.

This is purely anectodal, but if my conversions rate has dropped dramatically in a given time period chances are good that my QS dropped during the same time period.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

what you say makes sense...I see what you mean now. Campaign balance shifts from better converting kw due to lower QS...

....will check QS now...I dont suppose there is any way tho to compare with QS of the past?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks Thomas...

the optimizely snippet of code has been taken out...but conversion is still a bit low...technically if the code is out it should no longer impact-am I right in thinking?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Tom