AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help me improve my old ads & decrease the cost

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello experts!

I have been running ads for 1 year. Some of my ads are satisfactory for ROI but not good. However, I have to improve and optimize  my all ads and find a way to reach customers while paying less for it. I run a business & I want my customers to reach my website then contact me. 

I am a bit confused about how and where to start from......

should I start from analyzing keywords? OR start from viewing campaigns and ad groups then ads?

I am waiting for a reply to this topic.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Cheeta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Haseeb C
June 2016

Re: Help me improve my old ads & decrease the cost

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Haseeb,

As a first step, copy your existing ads and change them ever so slightly. Then copy the one you just made and change that one until you have 4 variations of the same ad.

Then look at your keyword view and switch to Search Queries - see what people are seeing your ad for and decide if you want to add something as a negative keyword or as a new positive keyword.

Ali

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Haseeb,

So you're getting a return from AdWords, but you'd like to see if you can't get a little bit more?

Let me give you three scenarios you might find interesting

I have good ads that convert, but I'm paying too much for them

Quality Score is key if you're in this situation. This basically allows you to rank higher than a competitor but still pay less per click - more for less!

Look at the quality score of your most successful keywords and identify areas of improvement - perhaps landing page experience is only Average and not Above Average, perhaps your Ad Relevance is Below Average so you can try different ad variations to see if you can get that Quality Score up, meaning the same or greater position with the same or lower cost per click

I have great quality scores but I'd still like to spend a bit less

This is where you'd want to look at new keywords and match types. So you may have a phrase match that's 10/10 Quality Score but you rely on it too much. Look at the Search Queries report in AdWords and find out if it's that term exactly that's converting. E.g.:

Maybe your term is "jam online" - a phrase match term with a 10/10 Quality Score and it's what brings in most of your business.

By looking at the Search Query report, you might see that you get a lot of clicks for terms like "wholesale jam online", or maybe that you only convert when it's exactly jam online.

That would mean you can use [jam online] (exact match) and you won't be spending money on other queries that aren't related to what you do.

No matter how much I try, I can't get the CPC where I want it

This would come down to your landing page. If the lowest CPC for the highest volume of traffic you can get is say $1, then you need to start converting more of that traffic.

Look at testing different landing pages, improving the ones you have and giving visitors to your site more options. For example:

Maybe you have a contact form, but what about a request call back option? A phone number? Just an email address?

Haseeb I really hope this helps - feel free to ask us anything else!

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ali for replying me.
The problem is that I wanna refine and optimize my ads. I want to know that where should I start from? I mean how to get started for optimizing ads?
For example for optimization
>> I pick a live ad and analyze it, go to its ad group, find its associated keywords and change these keywords.
Is this the way I should get started?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Haseeb C
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Haseeb,

As a first step, copy your existing ads and change them ever so slightly. Then copy the one you just made and change that one until you have 4 variations of the same ad.

Then look at your keyword view and switch to Search Queries - see what people are seeing your ad for and decide if you want to add something as a negative keyword or as a new positive keyword.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ali!
Your answer seems to be helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
what does the impression mean? what if i get low impressions?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Haseeb,

You may benefit from this help page that's all about the basics of AdWords - what impressions and CTR mean, how to set up campaigns, how to optimise, etc.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080949

Ali