Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help fully understanding BMM and Negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, this is my first post here. 

I'm currently trying to learn the ins and outs of adwords to help a friend of mine out. He's an electrician and didn't know where to start. I have experience with SEO but not PPC and who would have thought there was so much to learn?! I thought it would be a breeze but this has been a real eye opener.

Right now, one of the big issues I'm having is with BMM and negative keywords. 

I have a BMM campaign setup, that targets stuff like +electrician +{town}. In my exact match campaign for said town, I target [electrician town]. Therefore in my BMM campaign, I add the negitive keyword -[electrician town] so that it doesn't compete with my exact match phrases.

Is that correct? I'm not sure I'm properly understanding it.

Finally, if I add a negative keyword -auto electrician, would this effect [electrician] or [electrician town]? 

I'd be very thankful to any insight you can give.

Paul

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help fully understanding BMM and Negative keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Paul,

You are on the right track and nearly there.  

I wouldn't go to the trouble of having seperate campaigns for [exact match] & BMM.  It becomes far easier to have one campaign for both to control the budget & performance.  The only reason I use different campaigns is for targeting different locations or to control allocation of budget to certain segment of business.

1.  In answer to your question, Yes - you can add [negative exact] match keywords to the adgroups that have your BMM keywords.  I say adgroups because, easier to keep track of with Adgroup ABC (BMM) & Adgroup ABC (exact/phrase) if that how you like to organise the account.

With regards to negative keywords - when you have something like auto electrician that you want to exclude, try using -"electrician" and similiar variations.  This helps you control specifically who will see you ads.

As a rule of thumb, I structure my bids based on match type working from specific down to broad.  A lot of people don't like broad match keywpords, but if you are able to get clicks at 10% the cost of exact match keywords, it is unlikley you will go too wrong.  When using this bidding structure it avoids the need for too many negative keywords as the correct keyword should always be triggered by a users search term

Good luck.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

First, in my opinion there is no need to split campaigns along match types. I never do it. Really nothing wrong with it, just no real reason to do it in my opinion. So I agree with Jayson on this.

I also see no real reason to have a negative of the exact or phrase match for your BMM as you explain. The system will find the best possible match. So if you have an exact match, your ads in that group will trigger and should not trigger ads in your BMM group. I find Adwords pretty good at this so no need for the negatives. You also potentially introduce complexities that could hinder your campaign.

When adding negatives, you normally add just one word. No need to have the negative

-auto electrician

simply use:

-auto

It may be different today, but I recall years ago that your negative would be as if you entered:

-auto

-electrician

In other words, you just prevented your ads from showing because you use the keyword +electrician and turn around to negate it. Like I said, they may have fixed that but I still cling to old ways of doing things just to be on the safe side.

If you really wanted to negate "auto electrician", use the negative:

-"auto electrician"

Another thing about negatives (although this too may have changed), is that you need to include all variations. I don't think Adwords expands to plural forms or lateral words. In other words, you will need to have the following negatives:

-auto

-autos

-car

-cars

-vehicle

-vehicles

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Paul,

OK, I'll give you another opinion on this. Your account structure is not unusual. Many people do separate campaigns by match type, figuring exact match keywords have a higher value and better conversion rate (otherwise, why would you bid on the exact or phrase match keywords). So it makes sense to some advertisers to allocate more budget the the more restrictive match types. The broad match or BMM campaigns are good for identifying candidates for phrase or exact match, but likely will not see the overall conversion rates as the phrase and exact groups/campaigns. Yes, it's a little more work. And, no, I don't organize my campaigns this way.

OK, let's talk about negative keywords. It is entirely possible for a BMM or phrase match keyword "steal" from the exact match keyword. Google will normally pick the more restrictive match type when two or more match types are eligble, but not always. That's where the negative keywords come into play. In the broad match or BMM group, include negatives of the more restrictive match types (phrase and exact). In the phrase group, include negatiive exact match to help the system pick the right ad/group. Google also makes the assumption that you will bid higher for the more restrictive match types: broad and BMM the lowest bid, phrase higher and exact the highest. If your bids don't look like that, the negative keywords become essential.

IMO, you are on the right track.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pete, I'm glad I'm on the right track. I'm still a little overwhelmed while trying to digest everything and of course there's a lot of conflicting information and opinions which makes the learning curve even greater.

I was reading a guide earlier, that dealt specifically with negative keywords on a BMM keyword.

If my keyword in the exact match is [electrician portsmouth], then would my negative keyword in the BMM campaign be -[electrician portsmouth]?

In the BMM campaign itself, would I target +electrician +portsmouth? I am not quite sure why I'm not fully grasping this but I am definitely feeling bamboozled right now. 

Thanks for all the advice, it's been a great help.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Paul,

If you want to exclude all exact match variations as negatives from the BMM campaign - what you have proposed is correct.

The BMM will pick up all other variations such as "electrian in Portsmouth", "Portsmouth electricians" & "best electrician in Portsmouth" if the only exact match variation you are using is [Portsmouth Electrician].

BMM are excellent way to quickly get covereage for core threads and all the variations when they are used.  In this case with +electrician +portsmouth.

Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jayson,

The odd thing is, I was expecting the BMM campaign to generate more impressions than the exact match but it's not.

Could it be because the exact match campaign is already maxed out for everything relating to electrician portsmouth?

I'm hoping at some point, something clicks and everything begins to make proper sense.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
With the way that Google displays results, it prompts people to enter most popular search terms. You will find that [Electrician Suburb] will be fairly high. Worth making sure you have the same words in reverse order ie [Suburb Electician] If you want to make sure you are properly covering BMM campaign - at the campaign level - select columns & customize columns and look for competitive metrics. You want to look at impression share metrics. This will indicate if you have full coverage or not across the BMM campaign. It usually takes a few days to populate meaningful data. You can only get impressions if there is search - which impression share will validate. Last point - check your Geo targeting. Given you are using location based keywords, you can afford the Geo targeting to be larger than appears actually on the map. Ip addresses can vary, so that is another way to make sure you are maximising coverage. Cheers

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

>> The odd thing is, I was expecting the BMM campaign to generate more impressions than the exact match but it's not.

That's because people are searching on the exact "electrician portsmouth" rather than something else that would trigger the BMM like "electrician in portsmouth". How does it compare to your phrase match type, assuming you have one and you should. That sort of information can be quite useful and the Search Query report can tell you how people search (do they tend to add the state? are they more likely to search for "electrician portsmouth" or "portsmouth electrician?_

If you cover the basic keywords in all orders and in phrase matches as well as exact, you may find there are few triggers of your BMM. That's not a bad thing and it tells you something about how people search for this service.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have another question...

I have set up 2 campaigns, the 2 campaign have 6 ad groups and are complete duplicates... however 1 campaign is the [exact match] keywords and the other is +broad +match+modified type.

I have added all my negative keywords to the BMM campaign - as suggested above. However my BMM keywords report as not showing due to 'a negative keyword [exact match] is preventing your ad from showing

Please can you help and shed some light...