Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help With Ecommerce Campaign Setup

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys,

I need your help with Ecommerce Campaign setup.!!

O.K. let me just start this conversation with a scratch. My client has a ecommerce site selling “Eyewear Glasses” only (Not selling Sunglasses) for women’s, men’s, kids and unisex categories. In the above mentioned categories there are subcategories that apply to all the 4 major categories.

The subcategories are as follows:

1] PRESCRIPTION TYPE:

a) Bifocal

b) Computer Glasses

c) Fashion Glasses etc

2] FRAME:

a) Full Rim

b) Half Rim

c) Rimless etc

3] FRAME COLOR:

a) Green, black etc

4] FRAME STYLE:

a) Active Styles

b) Classic Styles

c) Professional Styles etc

5] SHAPE:

a) Aviator

b) Oval etc

6] FRAME MATERIAL:

a) Metal

b) Plastic

c) Titanium etc

To make it more simpler to understand let me just give an example. For instance a person (Male) wants to buy Bifocal glasses in Aviator shape. He can simply get into men’s section selects his Bifocal glasses with Aviator style and the list of items gets populated matching his needs. Same situation applies for the remaining categories. (I hope you get my point here what I am trying to explain)

Some Additional information:

1] Geographical targeting – Entire US

2] Month Advertising Budget - $750 - $1000

3] Existing campaign - Paused due to No sales

4] Goal – More sales.

What I want:

1] How do I start the keywords research? (By main categories, Subcategories or by anything else?)

2] Which campaign type i should kick off with initially?  (Search, Display, merchant or anything else)

3] How do I structure my campaigns? (By main categories, Subcategories or by anything else?)

4] Give me suggestions considering on my Month Advertising budget.

5] Any specific strategy that should be followed for Ecommerce sites.

I don’t have much hand on experience in handling the Ecommerce campaigns. So, please share your ideas to help me achieving the best results. If you want some more information please let me know.

Many Thanks in Advance..Smiley Happy

Regards,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Help With Ecommerce Campaign Setup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

In your situation I'd start with Product Listing Ads. Set up your feed, create a Merchant Center account, make sure your titles & descriptions are relevant, wait for your feed to be approved, link Merchant Account with AdWords and create a PLA campaign, segmented by product SKUs, one per ad group and product target.

Start with a high budget and low bids, control bids at ad group level, and mine your campaign for search terms. You'll have answers regarding your keywords (by looking at search terms), what are the ad groups they may match, what search terms match your product categories, and even combinations.

But if you're not familiar with AdWords, PLAs, Merchant Center & Analytics, you do have a bit of studying to do.

This should get you started: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456103?hl=en

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin,

Thanks for the suggestion and reference.

I have some more questions.

1] How much initialy per day budget should be..?

2] My client does'nt sell branded items but the quality of the product is good with a relatively cheaper price. So, will the products be listed in Google Merchant as the items are Non - branded ? I hope being non branded should not create a issue here.

3] Any more ideas on optimizing the PLA campaigns.

Regards,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Azeem.

I hope we're not talking about counterfeit goods, as they are not allowed: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176017?hl=en

As for the feed attributes, you have to provide either gtin (global trade item number) or brand and mpn (manufacturer part number).

Please make sure those goods are not replicas, as the account will promptly be shut down.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin,

The items are not Counterfeit Goods. On the website as well there isnt anything mentioned about any featured brands or any trademark logo highlighting that we sell branded goods.

I hope i can proceed with this..!! ?

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello. If you do not have GTIN or Brand + MPN, you cannot use product listing ads, which means you have to dig deep and create text ads manually. Unfortunately, this also means you will not be able to run product extensions.

You should either start with product specific text ads, one product per ad group, and make good use of sitelinks, or with product categories, and target category pages.

You'll figure out the budgets and bids once you create the ad groups / ads and enter your keywords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin,

I cheked my clients Google Merchant account and it seems that the products are not uploaded due to 4 missing field ( GTIN, Brand,MPN & Image link ).

Is GTIN and MPN Prodvided by Google...?? OR my client has to make on his own in sequence.

Not sure if this is the case..Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Can anyone please answers to my last post in this message thread..

I Hope i not bothering you asking too many questions..!!

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree with Adwiser. To answer those questions:
You need all the fields that are marked as required by Google.
For Brand: You can just enter your brand name and it can be the same for all products until its relevant.
Image link: the .jpg or .png link to a product
GTIN: GTIN should be a numeric digit that the product owner should be able to provide .. check here for more info.
MPN means the manufacturer part number and it can contain alphanumeric characters.
You need to provide this for all of your products.