AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Help - Cannot increase display network reach despite budget and CPCs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys,

I'm running a display campaign to raise awareness of a child sexual exploitation campaign my client is running in 2 areas, aimed at young people but not exclusive of older people. I'm having severe problems with the reach of my display campaign, which I've never had before, and I was wondering if anyone could spot any glaring errors that I've missed.

There are 2 campaigns, one for each of the 2 areas. Each area has a decent reach - one is a city and the other is large network of towns and villages across quite a large area. Everything is the same in the 2 campaigns apart from they are targeted to different locations.

Each campaign has 2 ad groups. The first is a direct ad group, that uses keyword targeting alone. The keywords relate to what young people might be searching for when directly trying to find information about sex, relationships and internet safety. examples: internet safety, safety online, child protection, sexual health etc. etc. There are about 30 keywords.

The second ad group is an indirect ad group, which targets topics only. The topics are just topics that are typical for young people - social networks, online image galleries, game websites etc. There are about 20 topics in here.

I cannot seem to get more than around 100 impressions a day for this, no matter what I do. And, on top of that, the small amount of placements that I am seeing are .ru websites - despite my campaign being targeted to 2 UK locations and the language set to English. Both campaigns are set to show all day every day, budget is high, CPCs have been raised to over £5 in some cases and the campaign has been live for a month now. Ads are approved. I'm absolutely stumped - please help, I would appreciate any recommendation.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amie W
September 2015

Re: Help - Cannot increase display network reach despite budget and CP

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Amie,

Those settings are fine. Apart from creating ads in all sizes, I'd also suggest checking the 'Target& Bid' and 'Bid only' setting in each ad group. If you're using two targeting methods in an ad group, this setting would decide your reach. I'd suggest having 'bid only' for topics/interests, so that your reach isn't restricted . Here's an example to help you understand this setting and here's the solution to a similar issue on our community.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Amie,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

Targeting keywords in one ad group and topics in another is a good strategy to widen reach. I don't see any issues with your bids or budget. However, I'd like to know what kind of ads you've got in these ad groups? Creating ads in all possible sizes is an option I can think of, in this situation. Secondly, could you check if there's any demographic targeting in the ad groups or frequency capping for the campaign?

Let us know, so we can troubleshoot further.

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sumanth,

Thanks for the reply.

You make a good point about the ads - there are 2 ads in each ad group and both are 240 x 400. I hadn't thought before about different ad sizes making much of a difference, but I see that's probably not helping.

There's no frequency capping and all demographics are selected - all ages (including unknown), all genders and all parental status. The potential reach pie chart on the right has Age, Gender and Parental Status under 'selected for bid management only'. Keywords/topics (depending on the ad group) are the only methods underneath 'Selected targeting'.

Thanks,

Amie

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amie W
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Amie,

Those settings are fine. Apart from creating ads in all sizes, I'd also suggest checking the 'Target& Bid' and 'Bid only' setting in each ad group. If you're using two targeting methods in an ad group, this setting would decide your reach. I'd suggest having 'bid only' for topics/interests, so that your reach isn't restricted . Here's an example to help you understand this setting and here's the solution to a similar issue on our community.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

I added about 4 more ads to each ad groups and it's done the trick brilliantly. Thank you so much for pointing that out, I knew it would be something that was right in front of me!

Thanks,
Amie

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
That's good to know, Amie Smiley Happy
Glad I could help!

Good luck,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar