star_border

Hello. New user - Few Questions

V L
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
V L
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I am new to Google ad Words and have a few Questions.  Google does have many guides but I thought I'd ask on here as it can get a bit confusing even though its helpful at times.

1.  How can I know which Ad will display on google due to certain keywords?  As I have multiple ads and also multiple keywords.  E.g for Example I have ad titles of "Plumber Suburbx" and "plumber Suburb Y" , so the ads look more appealing to people from the same suburb.  Also I have keywords that are also "Plumber Suburb X"  and "Plumber Suburb Y".        

QUESTION is, how do I know that when the Keyword Plumber X is used, that it will bring up the Ad that says Plumber X, as the last thing I would want is a person to type in Plumber and his suburb, and then one of my ads comes up, but with a totally different suburb?

2. Googles guides say the Cost Per Click bid increases chances of the ad ranking higher, however what is a good amount to use to be competative, as google cant tell you exactly what everybody else is bidding.  It only gives a starting bid of about $1.82, at times it will ask to increase it to be ranked higher.  But what I want to know is what is a General amount that can make an ad competative, $3?  $5?

3. Is there anything else that I should know or Basic fundementals I'm missing?  From what I understand Google Ad-Words works like a Tap,  The more money you put on your Keywords, the higher they will rank, or does google have ways of making it fair on even the lower bidders by rotating ads around based on IP Addresses of search users, days/dates?   as I'm trying to search some of my own ads up and only the big guys come up.  Does it take a few days before google begins ranking my ads higher ?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Hello. New user - Few Questions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi VL

1. If you put the keywords for suburb A into an adgroup called suburb A with ads texted for suburb A then you will achieve your goal. Adgroups are subgroups of a campaign. So you could call your campaign "plumber" and the adgroups "plumber suburb A" / "plumber suburb B" etc.

2. There is no straight answer to this. It depends of many factors like how much competition for this keyword is around, how high they bid, time of day, etc. Use the keyword tool to get an estimation. Also there is a column in the AdWords Keywords tab which will give you estimations for first page or first position bid. But the are only approximations and will never be super accurate. In short: You need to test until you find the right settings for your account.

3. AdWords is auction based. If someone bids higher for the same targeting settings and keywords he will rank higher. As a small player you can work on a good quality score which will give you better rankings for the same bid (or lower costs for the same ranking). Also you can try to use more niche or longtail keywords and a more specific targeting (region and language). In short: Google doesn't rotate ad ranks to achieve fairness. It all depends on how much you are willing to bid for a specific keywords with specific targeting settings. Use optimizations like better targeting, improving quality score, niche strategies to achieve high rankings of your ads if you can't spend money as a big player. There is a lot of info about AdWords optimization around: http://adwords.blogspot.ch/2007/02/adwords-optimization-tips-part-1.html

Regards
Aleks

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi VL

1. If you put the keywords for suburb A into an adgroup called suburb A with ads texted for suburb A then you will achieve your goal. Adgroups are subgroups of a campaign. So you could call your campaign "plumber" and the adgroups "plumber suburb A" / "plumber suburb B" etc.

2. There is no straight answer to this. It depends of many factors like how much competition for this keyword is around, how high they bid, time of day, etc. Use the keyword tool to get an estimation. Also there is a column in the AdWords Keywords tab which will give you estimations for first page or first position bid. But the are only approximations and will never be super accurate. In short: You need to test until you find the right settings for your account.

3. AdWords is auction based. If someone bids higher for the same targeting settings and keywords he will rank higher. As a small player you can work on a good quality score which will give you better rankings for the same bid (or lower costs for the same ranking). Also you can try to use more niche or longtail keywords and a more specific targeting (region and language). In short: Google doesn't rotate ad ranks to achieve fairness. It all depends on how much you are willing to bid for a specific keywords with specific targeting settings. Use optimizations like better targeting, improving quality score, niche strategies to achieve high rankings of your ads if you can't spend money as a big player. There is a lot of info about AdWords optimization around: http://adwords.blogspot.ch/2007/02/adwords-optimization-tips-part-1.html

Regards
Aleks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi V L, just to follow up on Aleks' excellent reply.

In terms of "fairness" and competition it's important to remember that while it may seem like the "big guys" get a bigger slice of the pie, AdWords is really all about performance, time and effort.  Many smaller advertisers fail with AdWords because they don't devote enough budget to an advertising campaign, enough time for it to work and enough effort to make sure it's working efficiently.  Larger companies tend to have more leeway in terms of how much they can spend and how long they can continue to spend that sum but they still play to the same rules as smaller advertisers so you just have to be more selective and plan more carefully.

For example, it's common to see advertisers attempting to market every single product they sell and to try and use every possible Keyword that might imaginably match a search for those products, over a very wide area.  To do this successfully requires a very large budget.  To use a plumbing based analogy, it's like trying to feed all the showers in a hotel using a header tank - the more shower outlets there are the larger the head of water needs to be for them all to run effectively.  Many small advertisers build up a large number of products and Keywords then try to "feed" them with very small daily budgets; this inevitably leads to poor results.  It's a much, much better approach initially to pick just one or two of your top selling products and just a handful of the very best Keywords and give them a decent daily budget over a shorter period to test the efficiency of a Campaign.

If you are in the plumbing business, your choice is perhaps not so much about products as it is services so you'll want to pick a service that is frequently requested, represents a good net profit for the job and which is clearly identified by Keywords.  So, you might target just "boiler repairs" or "emergency leak" or somesuch.  Don't try to advertise simply "plumbing" - it'll be too vague.  Pick just a couple of your "best" services, build Ad Groups devoted to those specific terms, and matching Ads, then try to give them a decent budget to run for a couple of weeks.

You must make sure you can track your AdWords calls and jobs so you may want to have some kind of code that people can quote when they ring you.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits