Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Having Trouble With Keywords & Quality Scores

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello experts!

This is my first post and I would really appreciate all the help and suggestions that I can't find somewhere else. I've read many posts and have tried all suggestions but still no luck. 

I am a tour operator agency in Morocco and started about 2 weeks ago with Adwords. Everything was going smoothly, until at the end of last week suddenly a lot of my keywords started showing quality scores of 1 through 6. 

I've tried everything and have followed all advices I've read here but Google still says my landing page experience is below average, and in other cases it says everything is below average. 

These are my landing pages:

ENGLISH LANDING PAGE: http://www.marrakechadventures.com/day-and-desert-tours-marrakech.html

SPANISH LANDING PAGE: http://www.marrakechadventures.com/rutas-por-marruecos-desde-marrakech.html

Overall I have a CTR of 5.88%

Conversion rate of 3.92%

Bounce rate of: 57%

All my keywords are phrase match or braod match modifiers - an example of keywords I have issues with are "Marrakech desert safari" "marrakech desert trip" "desert excursion marrakech"

I also have a very good and long Negative keyword list and every day check search queries in Adwords and Analytics and add the words to these lists - but in reality I rarely find search queries that don't match or are irrelevant to my ads. 

An example of my ads:

Ad marrakechadventures.com/desert-safaris/sahara-trips 
Camels, sunsets, desert safaris and much more. Plan Your Adventure Now!

Ad marrakechadventures.com/desert-trip/marrakech-tours 
Cross The Country In Your Private 4x4 - Dream Destinations. The Desert Awaits!

I also use site link extensions to other relevant pages of my website, callout extensions, and review extensions in my ads to 

Google still says my ad relevance for desert trips marrakech is below average and landing page experience below average. My landing page is not spammy, it has decent loading time, it includes my keywords in a not exaggerated way and has links to my main website. 

I'm really desperate and don't know what I can do - Google gives my best keywords a quality score of 1-3. Keywords that had an average of 200 impressions last week with a CTR of 9-12%

My CPC was going down every day, I was paying around $.50 to $.75 per click and suddenly quality scores dropped and I just paused my keywords until I find a solution. 

I've also checked the insights tab and it says my ad ranks always in 1 to 1.9 position even with this costs. At the end of every day I check my position and lower my bid in order to be in position 3 but even though I lower my bid my ads keep apearing in 1-2 positions. 

Sorry because this is a long post, but want to know what I can do

Thanxs in advance to everyone!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Having Trouble With Keywords & Quality Scores

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Marrakech A

>>"'Im really desperate and don't know what I can do - Google gives my best keywords a quality score of 1-3. Keywords that had an average of 200 impressions last week with a CTR of 9-12%

>>"I've also checked the insights tab and it says my ad ranks always in 1 to 1.9 position even with this costs. At the end of every day I check my position and lower my bid in order to be in position 3 but even though I lower my bid my ads keep appearing in 1-2 positions. 

It sounds that you have taken all the correct optimization steps. Performance metrics look well, with very good values. Conversion rate is a bit low, but, yet, this is the travel  industry, and the product is not cheap.

You have a great landing page. The right content and  a great design. The only "item" I would add is pricing.

So, how come Google gives a you an average grade? This is a machine grading. A machine is still far from being perfect.  With  the performances   you are reporting, and the optimization you have done - ignore the system's  score.

As for the QS: is the travel industry, it's hard to get a high QS. It's a very competitive vertical and since QS is relative to other advertisers, it's hard to get a score above average, especially with a broad match.  My assumption: QS will improve over time if CTR is kept at this level, and you continue to optimize on a regular basis. 

My view:  a great touristic campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you so much for answering! It makes me feel better knowing your opinion. If you say I can ignore scores for now then I won't worry anymore. Thank you so much! 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You are welcome.

Come visit us again to update on the progress of your campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’