Guide Me
star_border

Have you tried product extensions yet?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello everybody,

Hope the campaigns are going well! In our series on Ad Extensions, this week we’ll take a look at Product Extensions to see how these can improve your campaigns and help you reach your advertising goals.

If you have an e-commerce site, you can promote particular products that you have for sale by adding in Product Extensions to your campaigns. These extensions are lines of text or images that will show beneath your ad (like sitelink extensions) and give your customers information about the products you sell as soon as they see your ad.

In order to create Product Extensions you’ll need to link your AdWords account to your Google Merchant Centre account (which you can create for free) and make sure you have details on your products correctly uploaded into your Merchant Centre feed. Then you would follow the steps here.

Alternatively you can create Product Listing Ads that appear as pictures of your products in the top left hand corner on Google search. Product Listing Ads are a little different to Product Extensions as these are standalone ads that do not require keywords to be triggered, whereas Product Extensions show as an accompaniment to your text ads. Product Listing Ads are triggered when users type in words similar to how you described your products in your Merchant Centre account.

Diapers.com tried out Product Extensions and found that their CTR increased by 270% and they were able to decrease their cost per acquisition by 48%.

Have you been using either Product Extensions or Product Listings Ads in your campaigns? How have you been getting on with them?

Good luck with the campaigns!

A.

(Please remember, as this is an open forum please don't post your CIDs or any other account specific information. The AdWords Support team is more then happy to assist you if you contact us directly.)

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Have you tried product extensions yet?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Nice topic Alys,

I've bene using the product extensions in a few client campaigns and they are working really well for me.

I'll give some

Our average CTR overall is 6.27% but on the product extensions it is 14.18%, more than double.

The conversion rate averages at 4.25% but it is 7.5% on the product extensions.

The cost per acquisition dropped from an average of $12.97 down to $7.69, a saving of over 40%

I'd highly recommend using these extensions on all ecommerce sites as I see very little downside to them and the stats above speak for themselves.

Just be careful when setting them up so you can easily target the right product types or adwords labels in the right campaigns so you can make the most of it.

The links Alys gave us provide all the information on how this can be done.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Thanks for posting this and for the offer to help Alys. 

I hope our Community friends make best use of your presence here to get their questions addressed. 

Mini

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Nice topic Alys,

I've bene using the product extensions in a few client campaigns and they are working really well for me.

I'll give some

Our average CTR overall is 6.27% but on the product extensions it is 14.18%, more than double.

The conversion rate averages at 4.25% but it is 7.5% on the product extensions.

The cost per acquisition dropped from an average of $12.97 down to $7.69, a saving of over 40%

I'd highly recommend using these extensions on all ecommerce sites as I see very little downside to them and the stats above speak for themselves.

Just be careful when setting them up so you can easily target the right product types or adwords labels in the right campaigns so you can make the most of it.

The links Alys gave us provide all the information on how this can be done.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I was using them for a month, and it seemed to be improving my CTR (hard to isolate that as a variable though). However, when I recently tested the links in the extensions, I found that they were not carrying through some of the critical tracking numbers that I use to monitor effectiveness of my ad copy. My regular non-extension ad links perform fine and do carry through this piece of data. I can't use Google conversion tracking because of how my site works, so I rely on these tracking numbers embedded in my URLs to evaluate my advertising strategy.

I decided to remove the extensions for the time being, but may try them again during the fourth quarter when traffic typically picks up.

EDITED TO ADD: I just discovered that the error in those URLs might have been mine, so I'm retesting them.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Fnippy 

Thanks for the post. 

You can see the CTR for your product extensions on the Ad Extensions tab, so you would be able to see how people are engaging with your product extensions. This will be able to help you measure the impact of your extensions. 

It's always important to check your URLs are working, so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

A.