AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Have very poor CTR. How can i grow the CTR of my campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running an adwords campaign from last 4 months. I don't know why my CTR is sucked in last 2 months. I have a campaign with .56% CTR that is a reason to worry for me. I implemented the sitelinks, ad extensions, social graphs, attractive ads, landing page, high bids and all the things need for a good CTR but i don't know still i have a poor CTR. Can anybody please suggest me what should i do to get a CTR of more then 3%.

Plesae share your valuabe experience with me to enhance the performance of my campaign.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Have very poor CTR. How can i grow the CTR of my campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello skopenheart,

Low CTR in your Adwords account could be due to many reasons like:

1. Excessive use of broad match type keywords.

2. Ad copy not appealing due to which online user is not finding any interest in clicking your ad, so impression share increasing without good number of clicks.

3. Is there a chance that you are using Search + Display Network combines in single campaign?

Identify low CTR keywords which as per my experience would be the broad match ones. Track the search terms associated with them and see if they are relevant to your business or not. 

I would personally not encourage you to use Broad matches heavily because they bring in lot of irrelevant traffic. But if you can manage them on daily basis and work on finding irrelevant terms and adding them as negatives quite frequently, then it's a different case.

Focus more on phrase and exact match type keywords to improve your CTR.

Look at the search terms and see what users are looking for and track the important queries to include as keywords inside your account.

Work on your ad copies and match the keyword, ad text and landing page so that relevancy is improved and you get more weightage. Send users to specific landing page rather than sending them towards generic page. 

Add good to call action to your ads so that users get encouraged to click on that and take necessary actions.

If you are running a combined Search/Dispay Network campaign, then split them and run them separately because the audience behavior is different when they are on Search network and when they are browsing through different websites on Google Display Network.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello skopenheart,

Low CTR in your Adwords account could be due to many reasons like:

1. Excessive use of broad match type keywords.

2. Ad copy not appealing due to which online user is not finding any interest in clicking your ad, so impression share increasing without good number of clicks.

3. Is there a chance that you are using Search + Display Network combines in single campaign?

Identify low CTR keywords which as per my experience would be the broad match ones. Track the search terms associated with them and see if they are relevant to your business or not. 

I would personally not encourage you to use Broad matches heavily because they bring in lot of irrelevant traffic. But if you can manage them on daily basis and work on finding irrelevant terms and adding them as negatives quite frequently, then it's a different case.

Focus more on phrase and exact match type keywords to improve your CTR.

Look at the search terms and see what users are looking for and track the important queries to include as keywords inside your account.

Work on your ad copies and match the keyword, ad text and landing page so that relevancy is improved and you get more weightage. Send users to specific landing page rather than sending them towards generic page. 

Add good to call action to your ads so that users get encouraged to click on that and take necessary actions.

If you are running a combined Search/Dispay Network campaign, then split them and run them separately because the audience behavior is different when they are on Search network and when they are browsing through different websites on Google Display Network.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj for your fast reply.

1. I was using broad match keywords but now i changed them to EXCAT.

2. I was using the search + Display Network but now i am using only Search network.

3. My Ad Copies are not bad as i got some conversions from them. 

"Look at the search terms and see what users are looking for and track the important queries to include as keywords inside your account."

sometime i check for search terms in dimension's but didn't find the search queries for single day or short periods. Does adwords show the search terms for more than week days or how much minimum day's it need to show the search terms?

The QA of ekeywords is more than 7 or 8 and i think is okay from relevance prespective or i have to work on this too.

I already using call to actions in adcopies. 

Pankaj, One more thing that my campaign is not utlizing the daily budget i setted. I am using maximum bids for the keywords but still are not getting much clicks and impressions on them.

I would like to join you in my google plus profile...

Regards

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

@skopenheart wrote:

Thanks Pankaj for your fast reply.

1. I was using broad match keywords but now i changed them to EXCAT.

2. I was using the search + Display Network but now i am using only Search network.

3. My Ad Copies are not bad as i got some conversions from them. 

"Look at the search terms and see what users are looking for and track the important queries to include as keywords inside your account."

sometime i check for search terms in dimension's but didn't find the search queries for single day or short periods. Does adwords show the search terms for more than week days or how much minimum day's it need to show the search terms?

The QA of ekeywords is more than 7 or 8 and i think is okay from relevance prespective or i have to work on this too.

I already using call to actions in adcopies. 

Pankaj, One more thing that my campaign is not utlizing the daily budget i setted. I am using maximum bids for the keywords but still are not getting much clicks and impressions on them.

If you made the change recently i.e. from broad to exact matches, you will certainly witness a dip in your Adwords traffic. But the traffic you should be getting would be more relevant to the product/service you are advertising compared to past. So, keep working in that direction.

I would suggest you to look at the search terms report for the last 7 days or more because if you tend to see the latest data (like a day or two), it might not be available fully. And you won't be able to make informed decision.

QS of 7 or 8 is good. All you need to do now is to try and maintain that by increasing the CTR and sustaining it to the best of your efforts. Still there is room of improvement because 10 is max. Smiley Happy

Did you try the phrase matches? If not then go for it and experiment that as well because these match types have the second level of precedence after Exact Matches. 

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Pankaj thanks for kind response once again. 

I am using broad modifier keywords instead of phrase matching but i will experiment them for one adgroup.

Pankaj how much ads you recommend for an adgroup, currently i am running 2 or 3 ads for a adgroup and currently i am targeting only 10-15 keywords per adgroup. 

I also like to ask you why didn't i spend my full budget for the day. I have a campaign with $200 daily budget but it cost me  around $100.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Check the Search term Report - that will give you the actual keywords people type in Google. 

Select the top queries ( the top 20% for example) and create a campaign with queries from the Search Report as keywords in Exact match. Then, negative exact those keywords in your Broad campaign. 

Also, try to make your campaign more granular. Ideally every AdGroups should have just a few keywords or only one. 

It may help to try "Enhanced CPC" too. 

Hope this helped!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello,

I think running 2-3 ad copies inside an ad group are sufficient to see which works the best and which not.

About the daily budget, there might be some days when you are charged less than your daily budget or even a case where the daily budget might exceed the actual cost. But by the end of your billing cycle, you will not be charged more than your monthly spend as per Google.

Also as you mentioned that you made some major changes like changing the match types could also lead to cost control. 

To increase the spend, you can increase the ad scheduling if you are using it currently.

Include more of the keywords to reach large segment of users online.

You might want to expand the geo targeting if that's a possibility for your campaigns.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Max thanks for participating here,

"Select the top queries ( the top 20% for example) and create a campaign with queries from the Search Report as keywords in Exact match. Then, negative exact those keywords in your Broad campaign. "

What does it mean? I checked my search terms they are other than my keywords. I am running campaign for a Hotel in Maleysia that is Apple Hotel while i getting cost for other hotel names. Like someone search for hilton or other hotel names then my ad is coming up for those hotel names and those terms didn't give me any conversion so i added them in negative list.

And as per Pankaj suggestion i checked the keywords from broad to exact match yesterday and today i checked the improvement in CTR but still it is under 1%.

One more thing i didn't get impressions and clicks for all keywords in my campaign, why that's so? While i bid for each keywords and and used an adcopy relevant to keywords.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Pankaj,

Yes i am ad scheduling that is most effective to save extra cost.

I was running a campaign for multiple locations but didn't get sufficient traffic and impressions form those locations so i reduced them and only selected the particular locations from dimension geographical results.

Is it good to go with dimension geographical results?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Pankaj thanks for kind response once again. 

I am using broad modifier keywords instead of phrase matching but i will experiment them for one adgroup.

Pankaj how much ads you recommend for an adgroup, currently i am running 2 or 3 ads for a adgroup and currently i am targeting only 10-15 keywords per adgroup. 

I also like to ask you why didn't i spend my full budget for the day. I have a campaign with $200 daily budget but it cost me  around $100.