AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Has my site been reassessed for trademark infringements?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have changed my content after I noticed that part of it was copied directly from another site. However, the status of my ads' approval have not changed (they are still limited).

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You many need to change your ads slightly, then change them back.  That will trigger an automatic re-review by Google. 

In the case of a Trademark infringement, it is possible you may have to contact Google and request a manual review. But I would try the above first. 

To make a minor change, for example, edit the ad, add a period and save, then edit it again and restore it to how you want it.  This will trigger an automatic re-review process. 

hth

Re: Has my site been reassessed for trademark infringements?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Steve
I already tried that with no luck.  The trademark specified is the name of a place, which baffles me...can anyone trademark 'New York' for instance?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Have you carefully reviewed Google's Trademark policies?:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

I would not expect "New York" to be trademarked because it is the name of a state, not something which is trademarked.  The state names are common geographical terms and are generally treated as "public domain". But all "places" are not created equal; some of them are privately trademarked. Just because it is a place does not mean you are not violating a Trademark, in my experience. 

Remember we are not lawyers here and this may boil down to a legal question.  I'm sure Google would help you zero in on the issue if you contacted them.  The only time they won't is when an account has been permanently banned after repeated violations.  So you probably will want to resolve this forthright to avoid that outcome.

hth

Re: Has my site been reassessed for trademark infringements?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My site advertises holiday homes in the resort in which I live.   The resort is called Zimbali Coastal Resort & Estate.  The area is Zimbali.  I cannot possibly advertise my place without naming the location...it is essential info for anyone planning a holiday.  I understand that you can't help, thanks for the advice though, appreciate it! Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Raazia H
December 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

"Zimbali Coastal Resort & Estate" may be a registered trademark.  They could have registered the trademark with Google. 

You could conduct a registered trademark search, that would be useful information e.g. when you converse with Google.

Registered trademarks cannot be used in ad copy; however they can be used as keywords.

Best of luck with that!