AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Has anyone tested the "similar audiences" feature ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

I recently noticed that for a remarketing list that went over 1000 visitors the similar audiences shows a 4900 list of potential customers.

I am wondering if anyone made a 1 on 1 test with an adgroup with the only targeting a "remarketing list 1" and another ad group with the audience "similar audience to remarketing list 1". Do prove to be also "similar" performance in CTR and conversion rates ?

Weird thing, another list with a shorter time span of 15 days to gather visitors , has a "similar audience" of 340.000 cookies with only 400 cookies in the 15 days list. Why would a shorter list have a huge number in the similar audience ?

This is how to activate the option in the placement window :

show-similar-audiences.png

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Has anyone tested the "similar audiences" feature ?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I am testing the Similar Audience feature and am find that there is, indeed, a lot of traffic there. The test is brand-new, so I'm not sure if this audience is really going to be interested in my client's product or not. So far, the clicks and website visits are a bit lower than in my other remarketing Ad Groups but the test is very new.

As far as how the system determines what a "similar audience" is for your different marketing lists, I'm afraid I can't really answer that question, sorry.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I am testing the Similar Audience feature and am find that there is, indeed, a lot of traffic there. The test is brand-new, so I'm not sure if this audience is really going to be interested in my client's product or not. So far, the clicks and website visits are a bit lower than in my other remarketing Ad Groups but the test is very new.

As far as how the system determines what a "similar audience" is for your different marketing lists, I'm afraid I can't really answer that question, sorry.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I asked because I have an ad group with the similar audience targeting and zero impressions in 3 days. There are no placements, the bidding is set on auto with a maximum 3 times higher than on the initial remarketing list which has a few thousand impressions every day.

So far for me this "similar audience" of 4500 does ... nothing.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Well, results are always going to vary from one account/industry to another.

At the moment, my "similar audiences" Ad Group is producing a lot of impressions but fewer clicks than the other remarketing Ad Groups.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
What I really like about this segment, which I am about to use, is the fact that it comes between "former website visitors" and "just everybody and their cat" (general display campaigns).

So I guess it's good for testing new display campaigns. If a "similar audience" clearly performs much worse than your expectations (or your remarketing audience), I guess it's pretty safe to assume that a general display campaign might be a fiasco Smiley Happy.

Also, a strange thought just came to my mind: if I browse a website from my mobile (while logged into Google), and I'm added to a mobile audience, then I should be targeted on my desktop as well, because it's still me, right? So if I click an ad at the airport on my mobile, I should see a remarketing ad on my laptop, in the office, and also on my desktop, at home.

To be studied ...
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It started showing impressions 6 days after my setup. The placement for the 4500 audience are 90% very good so at least their algorithm does the job so problem solved in my case. Thank you for participating in this issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian B - when you say "the placement for the 4500 audience are 90% very good", what exactly are you saying? Also, do you have any data on CTR & conversion rate for the Similar Audience Google found you?

One other question for the group: where do you think Google is getting the data that it uses to build out the similar audiences? My assumption is that they're aggregating the 1st party data from all their advertisers who are doing remarketing with Google, and then slicing & dicing that data. Do you agree?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I mean the sites they are visiting (which appear in the placements tab with a delay of 2-3 days) are almost the same as the managed placements that I have selected . 

I think the data is built based on the "affinity" of the sets of sites visited by people. For example if one of my visitor is frequently accessing 10 sites , as an example some job sites which can be visited weekly, than the similar audience is made from doubleclick cookies which count impressions for other browsers which accessed the same set of sites. The doubleclick.net cookie is tracking Ad impressions for incrementing the VTC metric which is present in most Display Campaigns : https://support.google.com/adxbuyer/answer/166343?hl=en&ref_topic=28874

So I don't think this data is gathered from remarketing only.