3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Handling Mobile Traffic

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a client who does not have a mobile optimised site BUT for a particular segment of their PPC campaigns, would expect to achieve sales almost 100% via phone calls (its a locally delivered consumable - bottled gas). I have been using a bid modifier of -100% for mobile up to now as other campaigns for them have indicated that mobile does not convert for them at an acceptable cost. Note also that their call centre is only open between 8am and 5pm, so I dont want to encourage calls outside of those hours.

However, I'd like to make sure they dont miss out on mobile traffic that might work for them, so I'm thinking that if I set up mobile specific ads encouraging customers to call now etc... and a mobile preferred call extension set to show 8am-5pm and to only show the phone number and not the website, then I have mobile traffic between 8am and 5pm nicely covered right? Click to call option only shows between those hours - no option to click through to the site - great if you're out and about on your mobile in the area and just want to call through to order gas.

My question is, what then happens to the mobile preferred ads between 5pm in the evening and 8am in the morning, when the call centre is closed and the click to call extension doesnt show up? The mobile preferred ads still show as I can't schedule the ads like I can the call extensions - but I presume they will revert to the normal site link? Then I'd be encouraging people to call, but not giving them a phone number within the ad and landing them on a mobile unfriendly site.....

Is there a better way to handle this? (yes, yes.... apart from getting the client to do a mobile friendly site....).

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Handling Mobile Traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Moonllight,

I feel your pain!! I wish there were more advanced mobile bid modifiers. My I ask how desktop/tablet perform outside of the 8a-5p time frame? Maybe you could consider adding some negative bid modifiers across the whole campaign IF desktop/tablet don't perform well during those timee frames? (Note: I wouldn't do this if desktop/tablet perform well at those times!)

Otherwise, I think you have to set client expectations that you'd like to try the mobile call extensions for 1-2 weeks and see how it works because there could be incremental volume there. Just be clear that it is a test and it might not prove profitable. Then, I would keep an eye on the number of calls vs the amount of spend (for all hours) and decide if the cost per call is acceptable. If there's a high volume of mobile clicks after 5pm, maybe the client would be willing to consider an answering service.

It's also important to note that even between 8a-5p when you have the mobile call extension enabled, it isn't guaranteed to show every time (I don't believe), so keep an eye on total ad impressions vs. call extension impressions.

I hope this helps. I wish I had a work around and I'm excited to hear if anyone else has come up with one!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Moonlight,

Just a thought, my creative brain is not yet firing this AM though...

Would having one campaign scheduled for business hours and one campaign for other times work? I think this would enable you to have your mobile preferred ads and extensions running during the timeframes you prefer...only. Then you can set up the off hours campaign as you wish and even employ a -100% modifier on mobile.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I would follow Tommy's solution: This is my recommendation for businesses which don't get much business  from mobile, but would like to  show some "mobile presence" trying to capture the   "residual traffic". 

Having said that, and noting your comment that the client doesn't have a mobile optimized site - my experience is that conversions (on mobile devices)  are poor without a mobile optimized site. Without that, I would not recommend to launch a mobile campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes I agree with Tommy, this is one solution, but I'm saying that with a grimace on my face at the thought of having to split the campaign into two and deal with duplicated optimisation etc..... and even worse, when it might turn out that any mobile effort is a waste of time anyway. And MosheTLV, I too have seen mostly poor conversion levels for mobile on non mobile optimised sites (kinda makes sense I guess....) hence the -100% mobile bid modifier, but in this case the most likely form of contact is a call - even on the site its 'land on home page, see phone number, pick up phone and call...'. So I wanted to catch mobile users who think 'oh, forgot to order gas, quick search on mobile, here's my local company, here's the no., click to call, order gas...' - no real need to even visit website in that instance.

They do actually have an out of hours answer-phone so I think I will do the mobile call extension, but let it run all hours, and accept that some callers will just get through to the answerphone. Then, as Amy has suggested that the mobile call extension isn't guaranteed to show every time, I think I'll see if I can get the client to at least set up a semi-mobile friendly landing page with just the phone number and hours of opening clearly shown. Then review data and decide from there...

Does that make sense?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Actually, thinking a bit further on that, if I've selected 'just the phone number' on the call extension, is it the case that 'just the phone number' is ONLY when the call extension actually shows? So when it doesnt show, its back to the normal url link?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Correct - on desktop only the URL will be shown.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’