Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

HELP! I'm getting very weird search terms across several campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi gang!

I've noticed very unusual search terms appearing across a few campaigns. I manage an account that sends leads to FlipKey (for vacation rental homes) and here are a few search terms that have 10,000+ impressions in the past 30 days:

"florida florida vacation"

"florida central gulf coast florida central gulf coast florida vacation homes"

"florida south central gulf coast florida south central gulf coast florida vacation homes"

"siesta key florida south central gulf coast siesta key florida south central gulf coast florida vacation rentals"

I've reached out to teams at AdWords and they see nothing suspicious, but I'm pretty sure no human would type in these search terms...let along generate 10,000+ impressions, dozens of clicks and no conversions... The loss of money is one thing, but lower CTR and higher bounce rates are likely affecting positioning and other factors. 

Has anyone experienced this before?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: HELP! I'm getting very weird search terms across several campaigns

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Joshua,

As per your examples, i can say it happens because you are using Broad Match for keywords which the list of synonyms is endless... . For example under the keyword "Florida Vacation" keyword. You ad will trigger on "Florida New York Vacation" too

As per my experience you must try with Exact match or add This type of keywords in nagative keywords.

Let's wait till top contributor put their suggestion.  @MosheTLV?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick reply Kandarp!

I've added negative keywords, and am conscious of excluding the long-tail searches....but search terms like that just don't seem legit. I'm waiting to hear back from google regarding click-fraud and reimbursement...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
As Kandarp mentioned, are those broad match keywords?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Again.

I am not pretty much sure with sure weather is it scam or legit. As per you impression reports it seems something went wrong with keyword impression.

For my side I can suggest you to report using this link; https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
These are broad match keywords.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I would avoid broad match or at least use BMM. Broad match tends to be matched to synonyms and the ad could be triggered and shown for queries irrelevant  for the  service promoted. Negatives do not always block all.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua V
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Moshe and Thaker,

Finally received an answer from Google (partially my fault for being away on business for a few weeks). The long search terms I mentioned above are from Google's Search Network and not from their own search page.

When a term is searched across the network, various tags are displayed as search terms. Google will not confirm which terms came from which site, but I have been able to run reports saying whether a term is from a search partner or not...but it's not a straight forward process.

Thank you for your help!