AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

HELP!! I am heading of a cliff.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have 86 clicks and 1 sale I am going bankrupt paying Google

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: HELP!! I am heading of a cliff.

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
That's still over a 1% conversion rate - It could be worse for a beginning advertiser. If you have a conversion strategy in place start looking through the account to find out where the sale came from, and see if you can optimize for more sales. If you don't have any kind of conversion strategy, look at trying to reduce your CPC.

Not every click is going to lead to a sale. Work on improving your sales/closing rate, and reducing your costs.
Tom

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi John,

As Tom has rightly described here, you need to understand what theme, campaign, adgroup or even keyword is working for you and optimize the same to drive more traffic and conversions.

As an optimizing exercise always try to look for themes that are working for you and concentrate your efforts on those themes. Reviewing your ad copies is also an important step when it comes to a conversion based account. Try and maintain a theme between your ad copy & keywords/adgroups and see which ad messaging your users are relating more with.

Once you have identified the best ad messaging for you, replicate it across the account and then check if there is any improvement in your accounts performance.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi John,

Thanks for posting! We'll try our best to help!

To add to the great advice from Tom and Shashank, make the landing pages you are directing you ads too are highly relevant and easy for users to navigate through. For example, if you are selling running shoes, make sure your ad leads to your running shoes page on your website, and that it's easy for people to read about the product and figure out how to purchase. If you are also selling water bottles, make sure that ad leads to your water bottles page on your website, and again that it's easy for people to read about the product and figure out how to purchase. 

AdWords can drive people to your website, but what they do when they get there is up to them! So make it as easy as possible by providing a clear and simple website structure for them. 

I hope this helps! 

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
In addition to all the other great replys:

Look at your analytics data. Start with what has sold through your website or lead to a conversion in the past 30, 60, 90 day, 6 month, 1 year.

From that you will determine the products that SELL from your website. If the product doesn't sell from other sources of traffic, Adwords is not going to make it magically sell now, until there are improvements to landing page, offer, USP, site speed, Price or whatever ails that product and page.

Next. Look at your adwords data, In analytics under Acquisition> Adwords> Match Search Query.

This data will tell you the exact terms people typed into a google search that say your add and clicked on to your website. Are there any terms that you would consider irrelevant? Worthless? Well those are terms you need to add to a Negative Keyword List for either that campaign of Keyword, so that you are not getting wasted clicks. This will also show you the keywords that may have spent longer on your site or are considered more valuable.

Next in Adwords Run Keyword Diagnostic Report
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453974?hl=en

Some of the match Search Query will be there as well, but Look Keywords with 0 clicks but lots of impressions. Are there terms that showed up that are Irrelevant? it didn't cost you a click, but it is costing your CTR which is a factor in Quality score, Ad rank and then eventual amount of money you end up paying for your CPC..

Add those irrelevant terms to your Negative Keyword Lists.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Look at your keywords in your ad groups
- What are the Quality scores? are they 10/10 5/10 3/10? Learn quality score issues, Make sure you have tight groups of keywords with proper matching, good landing pages and Tight ads that include your keyword terms.

Look at your competition.
Then compare your Offer? Do you have calls to action on your Ads? Do you have a Unique Selling Proposition? Are these also evident on your landing pages?
Why should I buy from you instead of him? Make sure this OFFER is clear on the landing pages as well as if you can include your Call to Action Offer - ie free shipping, 40% off? Something other them - We are the best call now..

Success in Adwords comes from being diligent in looking at your data, sculpting your account to get the best synergy between keywords, ads, and landing pages and utilizing best optimization practices as well a marketing/ sales objectives.

Hope that helps or at least gives you a point of reference to start looking for area's of improvements.

Eric G