AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Got an optimization technique? Here's one I used earlier.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 1
Top Contributor Alumni

Mini asked a great question about the last change you made to your account but I wanted to take this that bit further and ask, what made you make those changes? What data did you use and how did that make you change your AdWords account.

This is something I did when I did a full review and optimisation of an account recently.(I haven't gone down to AdGroup ad text or sitelink data etc but you should get the idea)

1 – Ran a search query report over the past 6 months to get data on keywords that converted the best.

2 – Ran a geographical report to assess current locations costs, conversions, volumes and decide on how to restructure the account campaigns. E.g. Perth Exact Match Search, Perth Display, Perth Remarketing, Perth General

3 – Createed an exact match search converters campaign (for each state) that had keywords with 5 or more conversions. (exact match negative keywords are added to all other search campaigns to prevent any other campaigns triggering ads on these terms)

4 – Created location specific campaigns (for each state) making sure all keywords with a location interest in them are included here. 

5 – Remaining search keywords went into the general campaign (national targeting, using location terms as negatives) using themed AdGroups with ad copy specific to the AdGroup name.  

6 – Created a display campaign for each state so that ads can be as relevant as possible (Use location in ad image).

7 – Remarketing was implemented to get the brand back in front of the users that have shown an interest in the services. Might be lower volumes but can be great quality.

Based on what's been done, I can control my account ROI more efficiently. If the monthly budget gets dropped I can choose to pause some general/higher CPA campaigns/AdGroups and leave my higher ROI ones running. 

For me this is far from a final/perfect/optimized campaign. Give me a month, more data and new product or service offering and we start all over again. 

Let me know what you think of the above and what you might have done differently.

From working in agencies for years I still haven't met many people who use the same technique when going through the optimization process. It can go down to keywords per adgroup, how to name adroups, targeting, search/display/mobile etc, the list goes on and on.

I'd love to get a few more opinions.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Got an optimization technique? Here's one I used earlier.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you purefuzz,

Its really such a nice article covering a very good topic. Though all points are good but 3rd, 4th and 7th point I liked most.

Thanks!
Anand Vishwakarma

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Thanks avish,

I'm glad you got something from it. You'll never be able to cover everyone in once post, just like an optimization, everyone is different. 

Is there anything you'd like to add to what we have already?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes purfuzz, you're absolutely right. Smiley Happy

Nothing anything special but recently I used "Below the Fold" feature for optimization of my dispaly campaign, though reults haven't reflected yet but I think it'll work.

Can you plz share your views on this feature?

I would appreciate if anyone share their experience with "Below the Fold" feature.

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

In for results...just finding this now. 

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’