Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Got a lot of impressions, now I'm getting few

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - Why did I get 3,200 impressions on my 1 st. day of an Ad Campaign.  Then today 60?  and only 1 click.  I've created more ads and a second campaign and still nothing??  -  My Ads are appearing as a community member explained how to view through the 'Preview' on the dashboard: Tools - thanks   -  Niko

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impressions

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Are your 3200 impressions in a Display network campaign or a Search network Campaign?

2) Did you change your bid to lower it ?

3) The traffic drops to less than 50% in the weekends , I wouldn't worry to much.

4) If you are using a Search network campaign have you unchecked the box for the "search partners" ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Adrian for your response.

1) The 3,200 impressions were for 6th. July (our Adwords account was approved around 10 p.m. on 5th. July.) - This morning 7th. July I dis-enabled the Display after watching a youtube video saying that these don't give conversions (or are open to false clicks?)

2) Yes, I did lower a couple of bids - but then later I raised them back up . Neither seemed to make a difference.

3) Most of the clicks came on the Saturday. However, we are targeting musicians - so a lot of them perhaps as sleeping through most of Sunday? - (though we are too so we're allowed to make this joke!)

4) Yes, after watching the youtube video, I dis-enabled search partners - this morning. That's when I got a bit suspicious. I've since re-enabled it. And as I write this we have 2 clicks and 351 impressions - with a much larger Radius on the new campaign & 5 NEW ADS! - Yesterday, only had one ad running for the 3,200 impressions - strange indeed). thanks-you - Niko
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Niko S
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the detailed feedback.

The drop of impressions is because of the disabling Display network.

Enabling search partners is a good idea after you get a feel of how things work with the simple search network, since clicks from the search partners are difficult to track and monitor.

If you receive invalid clicks, google will show them in the Dimensions tab the next day and they will not charge you for them.

My recommendation is to use for now only the Search network without partners and to enable conversion tracking or goal tracking within analytics and import the goals in adwords in order to see how many visitors reached a strategic page after entering the website.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054?hl=en

Having 5 ads is not too much, I work with sets of 20 ads per ad group and I rotate them weekly to avoid the "boredom factor" which makes visitors stop clicking because they see the same texts.

Also learn how to look at the search terms report to see what people actually typed to match your keywords :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3207145?hl=en

In the upper main menu of the forum you have the Resources option which contains many useful links to learn the system , like these ones :

http://www.google.com/ads/learn/all-topics.html

https://support.google.com/adwords/topic/3121947?hl=en&ref_topic=3119106

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Niko.

It seems to me that you started advertising without going through the basic features / controls that AdWords offers. Unfortunately, this is pretty much a recipe for disaster, something like getting into a very modern and sophisticated warplane and starting to play with all the buttons and the levers and controls inside.

Please take some time to go through the materials starting here https://support.google.com/adwords/topic/3121763?hl=en&ref_topic=3119071 and then start to grow / adjust / optimise your account.

Talking about an impression increase and decrease when a campaign serves all networks and after you enable and disable a few features is not going to yield any usable result / conclusion.

My 2 cents, you don't have to take my advice ad litteram.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian for your help. I'll go through each point individually - and apply your tips.

Because I'm new to this, I find it extremely difficult to understand. I'm still having trouble navigating around the 'system'. I've been using Google Analytics for more than a year now and still don't follow all the aspects.
We still only have 2 clicks for today after 800 impressions (and after adding 5 new ads to the original 1 Ad !!!) - How did we get 3,200 impressions with 1 Ad - yesterday ?

By the way, We have to spend $25 in the first 3 days (Google Adwords Code Offer) to get $100 free !!! ??? ) So I need at least - approx - 4 or 5 clicks in the next 24 hours !! -
If I create 5 more ads could this help?
Silly to extend the radius (past 60 kms) when we are a service industry. - Niko

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,
I really thought I had a pretty good (basic) understanding of this because of the hours of Youtube I'd watched on it - and @ least 5 hours talking to 'Google sales people' and reading the 'Google Help Centre'....
- You say: 'Unfortunately, this is pretty much a recipe for disaster, something like getting into a very modern and sophisticated warplane and starting to play with all the buttons and the levers and controls inside.' .............. I love your sense of humour & if you'd seen my poor business partner when I was trying to explain some of the basics..... He was the passenger in the modern day warplane while I was at the controls...... (say no more)...

see my reply to Adrian - I really just want to spend $25 in 3 days (sensibly) to be able to make my code valid. - after that - I'll focus on extreme quality & conversion.
Considering we have an excellent Ad - and a great business & a great product - I just don't get it! - Cheers - Niko.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Sorry, Niko, if I got it wrong.

If a few more clicks is what you're after, then you may look at:

- raising your bids (check impression share, you want it as high as possible)
- adding new keywords with high search volume, related to your website / industry
- extending the range a little

Check the Quality Score of your keywords, you want them at least at a 6-7 if you want your ads to show. A 3-4 wil rarely have your ad showing.

(Off to the F1 race now Smiley Happy )
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) You had 3200 impressions on the Display network because your Ad is displayed most of the times when a visitor reaches a page on the website (which is considered "a placement" ) . It is not about the number of ads it is about exposure. The display campaign is like advertising on the entire territory of the US to become president , you handle a huge audience from over 2 million partner websites.

In a search campaign a keyword can be "searched" in the search engine maybe a couple of hundred times per day in a location (city, region ) ,  while a high traffic placement in the Display Campaign ( like youtube.com for example ) displays pages with Ads for tens of thousands of times during a day. The disadvantage is that people looking at those websites are not necessarily interested in your Ad, although the system does have methods to limit your Ad to pages that include keywords or to pages that are relevant to your ad text.

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/manage-your-ads/targeting-tools.html

If you have not even chose placements and you let the system place your ad anywhere it found a contextual match, you might receive a lot more impressions than expected.

2) In your experimental phase, it is best to limit your daily budget to something that you can afford , for your 100 $ , I go with their recommendation of a minimum of 5 $ per day :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2789623?hl=en&ref_topic=3123098

"If it's your first time using AdWords, we recommend choosing a budget between $5 and $50 – as long as that's within your advertising budget. You should let your campaign run for 2-4 weeks with the recommended budget before evaluating whether it needs to be adjusted."

3) Are you sure you have read the voucher conditions well enough ?

For example for UK you spend 25 pounds to get 75 not 100 pounds , as described here at the bottom of the page .

http://www.google.co.uk/adwords/coupons/

Also the time limit for the spend is 31 days not 3 from the time when you entered the promo code :

" To qualify for the promotional credit you must accrue advertising charges in the amount of £25 within 31 days of entering your promotional code. "

4) AdWiser is right, the adwords system requires a minimum of a few dozen hours of reading only for the basics before you can expect any results like sales or leads. You should pause the campaign after receiving the bonus and do some reading , in order to diminish your chances of being disappointed at the end.

5) It is also important to use the keyword matching options like phrase or exact matching , instead of the "natural written language" which is considered broad matching . Read more from here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3205250?hl=en&rd=1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OMG - Yoy're not really there - the F1! My partner is watching it now on tele! - His only passion outside work.
All my ads are under 3 and they are showing. I've used every key phrase I can think of that a potential customer will search for.
Should I list single search terms? - I would have thought that that would be counter productive? Bringing in "curiosity clicks'?
I'll studied a few of the things you've mentioned.
I've set up another campaign with a bunch of keywords.
Can't believe you're at the F1 .... ! - Niko.