Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google directing searches to broken and outdated facebook URL

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
About a week ago I changed our band's facebook url to '/therifelry' to '/theriflery', which was a hasty mispelling by our singer who set up our facebook page initially.

Since then we've noticed two major problems that seem to be tied together:

(Having trouble uploading screenshots of what I am talking about so here are just URLs)

1) Our facebook page used to be among the first google results when searching for The Riflery. Now, it is almost impossible to find. In order to make it show up I have to search not only "The Riflery" in quotes but type in 'facebook' after, which brings us to the second problem:

2) These links from google ALL direct to parts of our facebook page with the OLD url, which makes all of these links broken and there is nothing to look at. Essentially google leads everyone looking for our facebook page to a nonexistent page.

How can I fix this as soon as possible? I have contacted facebook as well and am waiting for a response from them too in case this issue is something they can fix on their end. Thanks in advance!
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Google directing searches to broken and outdated facebook URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shanan
This is the AdWords community, a paid advertising platform.

I think you'd be better off asking your question over on the webmaster central community/forum as they'll likely be able to point you in the right direction.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave. I will do just that! This was my first post so I appreciate you helping me figure this out.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
No worries Shanan.
If it makes it any easier, from experience, what you're experience is completely normal and will resolve itself. The guys in WMC can offer advice in speeding the process up.

Best of luck.