AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics shows my site is being visited by users from AOL.COM, how to target?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, looking at my analytics, i see most of the time spent on my site is coming from folk using aol search.  On Aol.search, if I click on the little "Ads" icon, it takes me to the same interface as google adwords.  I want to target users on AOL.  IF I establish an adword campaign through AOL, does that make my ads display in customer searches performed on or from AOL?  Or can I use my existing adwords account that I setup in Google and do the same thing; i.e., target AOL search users? 

I hope this is clear, if not please ask for more clarification.  Thank you

Re: Google analytics shows my site is being visited by users from AOL.COM, how to target?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good question. I don't believe Adwords allows targeting specific search partners, but there have been rumors. Some experts have tried targeting queries that the partner sites add to the original search queries. If you can identify which parameters are being added you can target them that way. A little bit of hacked approach, but hey if it works it works.

Good luck

Re: Google analytics shows my site is being visited by users from AOL.COM, how to target?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
as @128 sais, you unfortunately can't advertise specifically on AOL.com, that is one of the "search partners" in Google's network, and you can't bid on them specifically.

If you are seeing AOL in your analytics, that means that it is coming through organic, as paid gets shown as Google CPC.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey barb_Aol,

You can specifically target Aol.com by setting up a placement targeted campaign through Google's Display Network. These ads won't be shown on the search results pages, however, they will be shown across the rest of the site (depending on your targeting settings) as either image ads or text ads.

Dig into this site to learn more - http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bluelon.  

How would I know which Display ads show up on AOL blogs or whomever agreed to show Google Adsense ads on their property?  Please clarify your comment about how I can "specifically target Aol.com by setting up a placement targeted campagin".  

Thank you 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author barb_Aol
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey barb_Aol,

Visit Google's AdPlanner tool which will help you discover pages on AOL as well as simliar sites that you can target as well.

You can also read AdPlanners Support Guide wich will help you understand & navigate the tool.

You can specifically target AOL.com by setting up the domain as a managed placement in your AdWords account. Please read about Google's Display Network for further instructions on how to setup:

Display Network Support 

Display Network Overview

Thanks,

BI

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

If you want to advertise with AOL, you might be better off working directly with them.  I know in the past they had a white label version of AdWords called AOL Search Marketplace which let advertisers buy search ads directly from AOL.  Not sure if it still exists since AOL has seen quite a few changes since that program was introduced (in 2007 IIRC).  The current CEO of AOL is a former Google salesperson, so I'd expect a continued integration of AOL with Google, but you never know.  Also, if it does still exist, it might only be available to large advertisers.  Anyway, take a look at:

http://adspecs.aol.com/terms-conditions/current-terms-conditions/aol-search-marketplace-terms-servic...

Also, for general advertising with AOL, see these sites:

http://adspecs.aol.com/
http://advertising.aol.com/

And, yes, you can continue to run ads on the Google AdWords search partners network, but you don't have much flexibility.  It's a binary on or off decision.  You either get everything or nothing.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author barb_Aol
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Richard and Bluelon, thanks a lot.