Guide Me
star_border

Google adwords search remarketing?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

as I am setting up some Adwords campaigns I was researching some keywords & subjects. I had done some intensiv research on the subject of "Kinderfietskarren", on friday, logged out of Google for the weekend and then came back in the office, logged back in and researched "hondenfietskarren".

Afterwards I started researching a different subject, "kabellier". To my surprise Google not only showed me ads voor "kabellieren", but also for "kinderfietskarren"  and hondenfietskarren". Subjects that have nothing to do with my search intend or keywords. It is also noteworthy that on the organic searchresults there is no such analomy.

Image of Analomy

I understand personalized search, but this is a bit much. If I was one of the advertisers who´s ads got shown for a totally none related keyword (and I might be, without knowing) I´d be less then happy. It looks more like remarketing then search....

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

Regards,

Frits

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author frits p
September 2015

Re: Google adwords search remarketing?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Frits.

The ads you've highlighted are all for very general websites, which probably show ads for pretty much everything.

And you're right, it is exactly that: remarketing for search (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en). The only caveat is that you should have clicked through to their websites before seeing the ads for "kabellier". Which you probably did, at one point, because those are websites getting a lot of visits, all the time.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

thanks for your answer. I actually edited my question, as the original question had the observation that it seemed to happen for the very general (comparison) websites, but then I found a "normal" sellers ad as well, so I deleted that observation. Probably a mistake on the normal sellers settings then, as him targetting that broad would probably be of little use.
Never thought of targetting totally unrelated search intend just on the basis of a previous visit, wonder what the conversion rate is on that.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Frits. As with any new(er) feature, it is very likely that many advertisers are testing it. Some of them know what they're doing, and only use it for the right terms and the right visitors, others are, as you imply, less careful.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.