Google Keyword tool: share with us how do you use it

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This month we'd like to talk to you about various tools that are available for users online. Today, let's start with the Keyword tool.

Google Keyword tool is a tool that helps you to find words that users search for on Google. It helps you to:

• find keyword ideas; those that you want to use for your advertising as well as those that you want to eliminate
  • estimate traffic for those keywords
  • it includes the competition information

Watch this video to learn how you can use this tool to find relevant keywords for your AdWords campaigns.

Share with us how you use keyword tool. What do you find the most interesting about this tool? How do you work with this tool? How often do you use it?

Zee
G+
4 Expert replyverified_user

What do you find the most interesting about this tool? T...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

What do you find the most interesting about this tool?

The keywords that it suggests when you enter your own site as the URL to check. Sometimes, you see a lot of irrelevant keywords indicating that Google doesn't quite see your site the way you think it does.

How do you work with this tool?

Combining new keywords from this tool with ACTUAL Google Analytics keyword data and filtering with this:

http://www.redflymarketing.com/internet-marketing-tools/keyword-management-tool/

How often do you use it?

Every day.

Tip: Be careful to check the correct match type in the left panel. Search volume is nowhere NEAR where you think it is using the default (broad) setting. Choose the exact match option to get more accurate volume numbers about keywords.

Re: What do you find the most interesting about this tool? T...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

For me, the "keyword tool " is the starting point to get a sense about competition and costs.

It lets the campaign manager to check the level of competition he / she is going face, and to get "an idea" of how much "labor" is needed to keep up the campaign after the set up. (A rule of thumb: the higher the competition and the higher the bids, the more time-consuming the campaign will be, to keep it performing well.)

I agree with Dave: double-check domain, territory, language match type, making sure that all parameters are correct. (I have had a few times where "average bid" did not make any sense because I did not set the territory / language / domain correctly...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Google Keyword tool: share with us how do you use it

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Zee,

The tool has lots of cool features.

I use the KW tool often to proactively identify and add negative keywords to client accounts. If Google suggests a keyword is relevant to a term included in the tool then there is a good possibility you can see your ads served on that term unless you are using a match type that would restrict search terms like exact or phrase.

This is proactive approach so you do not have to wait to see the negatives on a search terms report in which case you have likely already paid for the poor traffic.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Very good point, Dave about the URL scan for keywords functionality. For Moshe it's a tool to check on competition and cost. And Kim uses it to identify posibble negative keywords.

Thank you all for your comments.

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I had worked in Mexico doing some SEM and SEO and the KW tool helped me, but sometimes the volume was not that accurate, right now I live en Span and I work doing the same and being Spain a 95% Google territory I have finally better volume results. 

Normally I use the KW tools to have an idea of the competition and have better and smarter ways to approach the user on the search. It is also fundamental and basic to use the broad wide and exact search oh and also the negative words, Theres always a period of 1 week that you are in constant replacement and maintenance of the words but it is an awesome feeling once your target is starting to show and also with the KW and the analytics - adwords help you to get a better idea of what your market is searching for.

=)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I use the tool all the time; like Kim I find it useful for identifying negatives - in fact I'd argue it's essential to identify some key negatives (if necessary) before a campaign starts and the Keyword Tool is a good way to go.

I also use it for potential new clients.  Although you have to take all the facts and figures shown with a large pinch of salt, once you start thinking of them in relative terms rather than absolutes, it's a good place to get an idea of how well and how active an  Adwords campaign might be for a particular site.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The keyword tool is a starting point for any campaign; it will tell you your budget set, your bids, preferred locations. The coolest feature which i find is the competition level it tells along with the CPC, which will help you understand that how broad you can go or how specific you have to be.  It is because of the keyword tool that you have a fair idea of average conversion as well, one more thing which can be greatly achieved by keyword tool is setting up the proper negatives as it does give you the very broad picture of the possible keyword queries and you can easily eliminates the one you don’t want, rather than waiting for the data to jump in and you collect your negatives.