AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google Forwarding Number Clarification On Whether Displayed On Smartphones For Click-To-Call Only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would just like to clarify something that I am still unsure as to the definitive answer ... details are ...

UK-Based ...

Adwords Campaign for Mobile Devices

Call Extension ... Use Google Forwarding Number .... Click-To-Call-Only

When the ad is displayed on a smartphone does the Google Forwarding Number display?

Many thanks, Regards Mark

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Google Forwarding Number Clarification On Whether Displayed On Smartphones For Click-To-Call Onl

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

In addition to above great conversation, I would like to add few of my thoughts here. I was going through this Adwords documentation and diagram about how to go about Call Extensions with high-end mobile devices and saw this:-

Devices on which a customer sees your ad Action taken by the customer Resulting charges Where to view call data
Laptops, desktop computers, or tablets Customer manually dials the Google forwarding phone number from a phone $1 USD per completed call (or potentially higher if you set a bid-per-call) Call details columns on theCampaign andAd Group tabs
Laptops, desktop computers, or tablets Customer clicks your ad Standard ad click N/A
High-end mobile devices Customer clicks the Google forwarding phone number (launching the phone's dialer) Standard ad click Available under "Call details" in theDimensionstab
High-end mobile devices Customer clicks your ad Standard ad click

N/A

See the one option I have marked in blue above. Now if we go by this saying, it says that you can use the Google Forwarding number with your high-end mobile devices. What will happen is that you can get the detailed reporting of Phone Calls under Dimensions Tab and a standard ad click will be charged to you.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Re: Google Forwarding Number Clarification On Whether Displayed On Smartphones For Click-To-Call Onl

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi workflow;

If you use call extensions the number is shown irrelevant to the device targeting,

In mobile:  you have variety of options with click to call: user click and initiate a call, with no website click, or both

Read more:

Add call extensions with forwarding numbers;

Click-to-call

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for that. Just to be clear my clarification is for the Click-To-Call-Only call extension setting on mobile devices that results in the phone number being displayed at the top of the ad ...

I have read the page links and any Google documentation a lot of times to seek this clarification ... it doesn't state it specifically. Am I correct in understanding that ....

"A Google Forwarding Number is displayed on a click-to-call-only ad on a smartphone?"

So ... am not interested in normal call extension ... just the combination of Click-to-call only and Google Forwarding Numbers as in the campaign settings.

Thanks, Regards Mark

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

workflow;

Click to call is only available on mobile devices!

Call extensions will have different features depending on the devices that your campaign is targeting (such as mobile phones, or computers and tablets).

• On high-end mobile devices (such as iPhones and Android devices with full Internet browsers): Your business phone number will be clickable for customers who access Google.com search, Voice search, Google Mobile App, or Google Maps for Mobile.[1]
  • On desktop or laptop computers: Your business phone number won’t appear, unless you’re using call metrics.[1]

This article explains all combinations [1]

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453991

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

In addition to above great conversation, I would like to add few of my thoughts here. I was going through this Adwords documentation and diagram about how to go about Call Extensions with high-end mobile devices and saw this:-

Devices on which a customer sees your ad Action taken by the customer Resulting charges Where to view call data
Laptops, desktop computers, or tablets Customer manually dials the Google forwarding phone number from a phone $1 USD per completed call (or potentially higher if you set a bid-per-call) Call details columns on theCampaign andAd Group tabs
Laptops, desktop computers, or tablets Customer clicks your ad Standard ad click N/A
High-end mobile devices Customer clicks the Google forwarding phone number (launching the phone's dialer) Standard ad click Available under "Call details" in theDimensionstab
High-end mobile devices Customer clicks your ad Standard ad click

N/A

See the one option I have marked in blue above. Now if we go by this saying, it says that you can use the Google Forwarding number with your high-end mobile devices. What will happen is that you can get the detailed reporting of Phone Calls under Dimensions Tab and a standard ad click will be charged to you.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all responses.

The reason I asked the question is that if one uses an 0800 number that is toll-free in the UK with the following settings ....

Mobile Devices Only with carriers i.e. smartphones ... non Ipod touch, etc

Google Forwarding Number with Click-To-Call-Only

The Google Forwarding Number is actually not used .... I have changed this to a local-rate number and Google assure me that it will now show the Google Forwarding Number ... but in the UK, currently, an 0800 number as your base phone number will not work.

I shall let you know my findings.

Thanks, Regards Mark