AdWords
1K members online now
1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google Display Network - acceptable bounce rate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone

Recently I've started a a display campaign on the GDN for a luxury brand.
After a week I'm seeing a quite low performance with an average bounce rate of 84%, 1.5 page per session, 00:00:21 average session duration.
The campaigns have the objective to drive qualified traffic to the new online shop so for now we are not measuring conversions, but still we can't talk about qualified traffic with these numbers.

Is this normal performance in your experience?
What should I do to improve these numbers?

Thank you
Marina

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Display Network - acceptable bounce rate?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marina,

Can you specify which particular settings have you selected inside GDN? Is it like using keywords, topic level targeting, remarketing etc...?

There is a slight possibility that initially the bounce rate is high, but shouldn't be very high as you mentioned. What is the bounce rate for search campaigns? Also apart from paid campaigns, how's other metrics related to non paid, organic, social traffic? If the tendency is the high bounce rate overall, then certainly the issue could be related to your website and you will have improve the user experience to reduce the bounce rate.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj

As per the settings, I'm referring to the affinity audiences plus custom affinity audiences. So we are talking about pure display based on topics (in our case fashion and designer goods plus competitors websites) on the GDN, not retargeting (I also have retargeting campaigns but these don't have such a high bounce rate).
Bid strategy: manual CPC
Ad rotation: optimized per click
Frequency capping: 4 / 6 impressions per day
Also to optimize the budget I've added a schedule to show the ad starting from 1pm to 1am (exclusing the morning hours)

For other channels the bounce rate is not that high, considering we are on an average 27% for organic search, 37% for paid search and 40% for social.

Are these acceptable?
Any idea about optimization?

Thank you!
Marina

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Marina,

Bounce rate seems to be on the higher side for a e-commerce business like yours. And as the bounce rate for other paid channels is much lower, so I think the issue is with the targeting you have in your campaigns. So, you need to optimise your campaign for better performance. 

Are you getting majorly mobile traffic in your campaign? Usually bounce rate for mobile traffic is higher than that of desktop traffic. Do optimise the device bid adjustment if this is the case.

Also did you check for the placement where your ads are appearing, you may need to exclude some of them if they are not relevant to your business and are contributing major proportion of your campaign cost.

There other optimization filters as well like demographics which you can use to lower down your bounce rate.

Also It would always be better to have the conversion setting enabled in your account, as it would help to find out whether you are getting any quality leads or not from the campaigns. 

Hope it helps !!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
HI Marina,

One of the reason for high bounce rate is simply because of your settings as per my understanding. Affinity audiences and custom affinity audiences are not your direct customers. They are browsing other websites and you are trying to pitch your product on top of that. This is one of the obvious reason for high bounce rate. If I would have been there, I will go for it if I want to expand my reach and at the initial level I should be ready for high bounces. I would suggest you to read this help doc for more insights about these audiences:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941?hl=en

I hope this helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Deepak

Thank you for your answer!
I am indeed trying to adjust the bidding of desktop vs mobile devices and this is already giving good results, considering the bounce rate has now decreased to 80% (vs initial 84%).
I will also check on demographics to see if I can implement further optimizations.
About the placement, could you advise on how I can check the different placements and maybe exclude some that are not relevant?

Thank you!
Marina

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankay

Thank you so much for the article...it's really helpful.
So basically the "in-market" audience only differs in the fact that these are more "shopping oriented" users vs the affinity / custom affinity ones, is this correct?
Thanks
Marina