1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords Audit Guide

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So this is my first contribution to the adwords community to which I have benefited greatly and thank to all of you for your amazing skills. 

So i thought I should share some basic and yet powerful ways you can go about auditing and optimizing your Adwords Campaigns. 

Campaign Settings:

Check if the campaign is opted in for both Search & Display, for an effective campaign this is not advised at all. Avoid creating AdWords campaigns that’s set to serve on both the Search Network and Display Network because that makes the campaign difficult to optimize and measure performance. Recommend splitting the campaign into two campaigns, search and Display.

Ads

Google recommends setting up multiple versions of ads per ad group. Check if the Ad Groups have more than 3 ads per ad group, best practice recommends 3-4 ad variations or more with one mobile preferred ad. 1- Tie keywords back into ad copy. Consumers tend to engage with ads that appear most relevant to their search. Check if Ads are following best practice in regards to keyword insertion.

Google Stats: Based on internal Google data.  

• Tying keywords into headlines alone lifted ad CTRs, on average, 15%. *
  • Tying keywords into the display URLs alone lifted ad CTRs, on average, 8%. *
  • Ads that featured keywords in both the headline and 1st description line impacted CTR positively 68% of the time. *

Using Title case capitalization throughout the headline and body text can help ads standout.

Check if there are any inconsistencies in the ad copy; whether small and capital letters are used.

Refer example above

Google Stat:

Ads with title case capitalization and a keyword in the headline lifted CTRs 62% of the time. *

Highlight unique selling points, these will be different for each client. – Check if campaign is currently doing well with selling points, e.g. savings, free Estimates, free shipping. Etc. Adding actual cost from specials would help here.

Include one or more mobile-preferred ad copy per ad group.

Check if the website is responsive, meaning its mobile ready. Mobile makes 20% of the Google traffic, you can get better results if mobile users see an ad that’s very relevant to them, with a mobile-specific call to action like “Call us now, View This On Our Mobile Site, Order On Our Mobile Site”. Another simple way to show that a mobile-friendly experience awaits the searcher is by adding “/phone” or “/mobile” at the end of the display URL.

Use ad extensions to improve relevance. – Check if Ad extensions are currently being used in the campaign. Ad extensions appear alongside your ads and deliver additional information to users thus making your ads more relevant. Extensions are also part of Ad Rank, so the better your extensions are, the more competitive you'll be in the AdWords auction.

Ok gatta go back to work now, to be continued, I will share more on Negative Keywords, Keyword Match Type Optimization, Quality Score, New structured snippet extension, how to run dynamic remarketing using custom feeds and more. 

Thank you for taking your precious time to read my artice. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Adwords Audit Guide

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

Thank you for sharing your ideas!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Theresa, that means alot!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PreciousThundu
October 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Awesome stuff Precious! Some great tips here!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi @KathleenG, do you know why I cannot post topics on the community? Thanks

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Great Article, was looking for exactly this to share with my team. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sharmaine, Glad you found it helpful, herewith an audit I did for one client of mine, more comprehensive, enjoy and feel free to use it on your accounts. Google Adwords Audit