AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords conversion code in an email?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any way I can drop Google AdWords conversion code into an email? The way our client's website is set up doesn't allow us to do a "thank you" page. But when the user does sign up, they are sent an email.

Wondering if I can drop code in the email and still have AdWords report on a conversion action taking place when the user opens up the email.

Any one have experience doing or trying this?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Google AdWords conversion code in an email?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello. You cannot execute javascript in an email, as far as I know, for security reasons. And I doubt that you could execute the noscript part and make it count as a conversion, because the visitor would lack the cookie that is needed to tie that conversion to a previous ad click.

I might be wrong though, I'm answering without any research, based on my previous experience, because I know websites which fire the conversion code on every thank you page, regardless of source / medium, yet AdWords only reports conversions if the cookie is present.

You have to convince them to click back on the site after reading the email. Somehow.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Interesting. I wonder if I might try the noscript part? Do you know how I might specifically rig this up?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You can try to insert the image call in the noscript part, but in the absence of the AdWords cookie nothing will be registered.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi MKG M,

Calin is correct, you can not implement the conversion tracking in an email.

But you can record the conversion before sending the email. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to set up event tracking in Analytics and set that event as a goal. The drawback here is you can not record the actual purchase value with a goal. If all conversion have the same value, that's fine.

Otherwise, you can create a Javascript that creates just the image part of the conversion script. I've posted how to do that here manuy times inf you need details on how to do that.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords