4.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

what are the negative effects to using this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google AdWords Remarketing

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Spending any money without clear goals in mind would be a "negative effect" to me. If you don't know what you are ultimately trying to accomplish, then it's hard to say what would be positive or negative.

Aside from that, one negative might be that your ad is being displayed on sites next to content that may not be appropriate, or could have damaging effects to your brand. (exp: Your ad for grilling products is placed next to a news article about a house burned down by a grill fire).

You can prevent this by narrowing down the targeting you choose.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't know any negative effect if you do it properly & purposefully !

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Honestly; I think Remarketing is an excellent feature... I have seen any disadvantage.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Used in the wrong way it can annoy people and give a bad image of the company using it.
It has happened me several times that clients have asked me to turn re-marketing off or at least turn down the frequency and/or the cookie duration for remarketing campaigns because users may have complained that they are seeing their ads too often.

I also do not use it for clients in sensitive business niches, such as sexually transmitted diseases or funeral services.
You don´t want your potential customers spouse asking them why there are so many ads about STD showing up in their browser!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hmm...interesting David....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

you also need to consider the "window of opportuinty" that the sector might have.

I deal with one client in auto insurance. The way we approach it is that we have a remarketnig list that lasts a couple of weeks - we figure that if you're looking for insurance then you're not going to wait three or four weeks to make a decision.

But then we have another list that lasts 13 months an another that lasts 11. We then run a combination (all of the first, none of the second) to target people in the same window a year later - when they are looking at their renewal.

Other sectors might have wider windows... the time to purchas and visits to purchase will help detemine the optimium.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@stickleback;

Great idea. I should try

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@stickleback

Awesome point! I didn't think about the renewals. Having a 11-12 month list for visited who previously visited a subscription/maintenance renewal page is a great idea. Thanks for the tip

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

My barbers remarketing campiaign uses one list with a 6 weeks cookie duration time and another list with 5 weeks cookie time.

The combination of 6 minus 5 makes perfect sense for a window in their business : )