2.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Performance Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This year, I created 3 new Google AdWords online campaigns, which performs great. Paid search outperformed around 120% more compared with last year. However, with the same amount of budget, last year, we have 20% more overall traffic. I know that paid search doesn’t have much relation with direct, referral and organic search. But from my perspective, there are some correlation between them. Now we’ve spent same budget as we spent last year, although paid search is greater now but overall we lost traffic. How should I do or what kind of actions can I take? Thank you very much.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Paid search is an entirely different mechanism (system) of generating traffic vs organic traffic.  So to make any decisions based upon the relative traffic volume of the two, is not likely to be a productive or useful exercise.

Let us know if you have any specific questions and we'll try to answer them!

hth

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Steven S,

As Steve has said, they are not related (organic v paid). The systems are not connected and great organic performance does not affect ad performance or vice-versa. 

Hoever, there could be many reasons why your AdWords performance varies from last year ot this year. 

The first that comes to mind is that this year was an election year and metrics vary greatly from a year that is... to one that is not. 

Another thing I would consider is if the product or service you are advertising was new and now is a bit stale (for lack of better word). This is a constant concern for all of us advertisers. A product that is fresh and new performs differently than one that everyone already has/has heard of. Not only can a product or service become stale, but keywords can. As can website/landing page (which affects quality score, which affects performance). Another affected are the ads (even more so) themselves.

Another issue would be changes with competition... and/or your company, product, service, website. These changes can greatly affect performance and the comparisons of one period to another. 

And another would be refinement of your campaigns. Over time, you could have added negative keywords, adjusted geo-locations, or affected targeting in a way that it simply brings less results. 

You could start by auditing your account with the Dimensions Tab. This is a very powerful auditing tool that many simply do not use. Dig into it with your campaigns and see what you discover. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Steve. I got the ideas that non-brand paid campaigns will indeed have positive impact on the organic and direct traffic. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, James. Really informative.