AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords HUGE dip in CTR for Nov.2011.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

See graph (inc.changes) here:

www.smehelper.com/sbh-fe_adwords-screenshot_nov&dec%20CTR%20problem.jpg

Can an experiement of 1 new advert really rocket impressions?

My concern is not the impressions perse, but how quality score etc may get affected due to the increased impressions & lower CTR.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Google AdWords HUGE dip in CTR for Nov.2011.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi sbusinesshelper,

November is so long ago it's hard to say what might have happened.  Plus we don't really know what you changed in your ads during that experiment.  But since your impressions went up but clicks went down, and your CPC went up, here's one possible scenario:

• Something about the new ad caused it to get entered into a larger set of auctions.
  • Since the ad was in more competitive auctions, the price went up (though it was still below your bid, of course).
  • Your bids were high enough that you competed fairly well in the auctions and you got lots of impressions.
  • Even though our system liked your experimental ad the users didn't, so you didn't get many clicks.
  • The system noticed your CTR going down, which made your AdRank go down, so your CPC went up even more to compensate and achieve the same rank in the auction.

I don't know if that's really what happened, but it might fit.

One more thing to keep in mind is that November and December are the wildest months of the year on AdWords, with all the Thanksgiving and Christmas sales.  Auctions can get very competitive during that period.

I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think a lower CTR in an experimental ad six months ago is going to have much impact on how your account behaves now.  Historical CTR is only one of many, many signals that feed into the auction and determine the number your bid gets multiplied by to compute your AdRank.

Laura

AdWords engineer

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi sbusinesshelper,

Yes, experiments can indeed create some spikes in your data depending on the experiment and the settings you choose.  Did you view any other performance indicators when you ran this experiment?  Did your QS improve with the new ad an thus received more impressions because it became eligible for a higher position in some Ad Auctions?

I would say that by now, if you're no longer running the experiment, your QS have adjusted back to the 'norm'.  The effects of experiments do not always linger if the campaigns have been returned to the pre-experiment status.

You would know better than I would but perhaps there was a spike in interest during this time period that would have altered your statistics regardless of the experiment...just a thought.

Hope this Helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi sbusinesshelper,

November is so long ago it's hard to say what might have happened.  Plus we don't really know what you changed in your ads during that experiment.  But since your impressions went up but clicks went down, and your CPC went up, here's one possible scenario:

• Something about the new ad caused it to get entered into a larger set of auctions.
  • Since the ad was in more competitive auctions, the price went up (though it was still below your bid, of course).
  • Your bids were high enough that you competed fairly well in the auctions and you got lots of impressions.
  • Even though our system liked your experimental ad the users didn't, so you didn't get many clicks.
  • The system noticed your CTR going down, which made your AdRank go down, so your CPC went up even more to compensate and achieve the same rank in the auction.

I don't know if that's really what happened, but it might fit.

One more thing to keep in mind is that November and December are the wildest months of the year on AdWords, with all the Thanksgiving and Christmas sales.  Auctions can get very competitive during that period.

I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think a lower CTR in an experimental ad six months ago is going to have much impact on how your account behaves now.  Historical CTR is only one of many, many signals that feed into the auction and determine the number your bid gets multiplied by to compute your AdRank.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Creative self promotion, no?

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi 128, 

Thank you for reporting this thread to us. We didn't identify a breach of the Community Guidelines on this thread. 

Thank you,

Zee
G+