AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Good ads performance but low conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I am wondering if there someone can help me.

I am running a GDN placement campaign with precise target audience by gender, ages, and location for our e-commerce site. The matters is, I got a lot of clicks, good CTR, and the page engagement (bounce rate, time on site, etc) from this campaign that recorded in my GA account is also good but the transaction is very low. What should I do to improve my campaign to increase the transaction.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jolita l
September 2015

Re: Good ads performance but low conversion

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Hi Jolita,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We hope you're having a great holiday season.

Technically speaking, the objective of a Display campaign is branding and not conversions. Users on the display network are much earlier in the buying cycle than those on search.

Despite the fact that you may have showed your ads to people on the most specific placements and the correct gender etc., there's not much you can do to change the fact that users were simply browsing the web and not looking for your product in particular when they saw your ad.

That they saw and clicked on your ad, along with good engagement on your website itself is a positive outcome. This boosts brand recognition and recall so that, the next time these users are actually looking for your product/service, they are much more likely to remember and search specifically for you, driving conversions in the long run.

If you're not looking for such branding (to try and drive long term results) and are focussed only on short-term conversions, we recommend trying out remarketing or focussing on Search more than display (try a search network with display select camapaign if you're looking to strike a balance between search and display, but want to focus more on conversions).

Do reach out for more clarification. You can also call/chat/email us for support and specific optimization tips for your account. We're happy to help.

Sincerely,

RR

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

If I was in your place i would take following steps to analyse the data further.

1. I would bifurcate placement in to two parts. One list of placements which are converting or having high conversion rate and second list of placements which either dont give you conversions or have low conversion rate.
  2. I would move the converting list to a different campaign as managed placements
  3. Also make these placements as negative in your original campaign.
  4. Then I would monitor performance of the original campaign to isolate the placements which are giving you clicks but no conversions and will start negating them

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jolita l
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Hi Jolita,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We hope you're having a great holiday season.

Technically speaking, the objective of a Display campaign is branding and not conversions. Users on the display network are much earlier in the buying cycle than those on search.

Despite the fact that you may have showed your ads to people on the most specific placements and the correct gender etc., there's not much you can do to change the fact that users were simply browsing the web and not looking for your product in particular when they saw your ad.

That they saw and clicked on your ad, along with good engagement on your website itself is a positive outcome. This boosts brand recognition and recall so that, the next time these users are actually looking for your product/service, they are much more likely to remember and search specifically for you, driving conversions in the long run.

If you're not looking for such branding (to try and drive long term results) and are focussed only on short-term conversions, we recommend trying out remarketing or focussing on Search more than display (try a search network with display select camapaign if you're looking to strike a balance between search and display, but want to focus more on conversions).

Do reach out for more clarification. You can also call/chat/email us for support and specific optimization tips for your account. We're happy to help.

Sincerely,

RR

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

Just a small addition to above informative responses, why don't you try Remarketing Campaign (if you haven't tried it yet) where you re-target the online users who have been to your site, spent good amount of time, but have not converted.

You can show custom/tailored ads and some special offers for those users, so that they get encouraged to convert. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476691

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You should check landing page structure. Maybe there is no "call to action", or landing page doesn't reflect your ad message.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jolita,

Could you let me know are you using keyword or placement targeting ?

Regards,
Gokul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nik,

Thanks for the insight! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Raggy,

Agree with you! Thanks for the answer! Really insightful Smiley Happy
Yes, we are also doing the remarketing & search campaign.

Regards,
Jolita

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gokuldas,

I do both keyword (contextual) & placement targeting and the result is quite similar but the placement targeting performance is better than contextual.

Thanks,
Jolita

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Drazen,

Thank you for the response.

Regards,
Jolita