AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Good ads getting 'killed' for no reason?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a question about ad behaviour and I would really appreciate the community's opinion on it.

Here it goes, explained as clear as I can:
-2 ads A and B ran together against each other 16.03-08.06, it was a landing page test
-between 16.03-11.05 ad A won over ad B and was a clear winner with good performnace
http://screencast.com/t/aI7VB0OWUOAU
-on 11.05 ad B started running and ad A basically got killed
http://screencast.com/t/GbdoIVmTBxwq

Notice that the impressions went from a fairly steady stream, to 1-2 per day to 0.

I checked the history of changes around the date of 11.05 and the only thing that was changed in this ad group was the addition of 2 keywords in exact match.

So my question is what caused the 'death' of ad A?

Thank you,
Sabina

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Good ads getting 'killed' for no reason?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Sabina. Can you please check your ad rotation settings?

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6034106?ctx=tltp

The default is "optimize for clicks". So if the system detects that ad B can get more clicks than A it really doesn't care how their landing pages perform in your external test.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thank you for the reply.

My ad rotation settings have always been set to "optimize for conversions", ever since the account was opened.

So the mystery remains...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would check CTR of the device segments. If Ad B had a higher conversion rate on mobiles and you started to receive more traffic from mobiles , the systen will show Ad B more to the mobile segment. At least this is what I have seen in an account.

After 11 May 2015 do you see an increase in mobile traffic ?

Both Ads use the same landing page ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the input.

Sadly this doesn't help either, since the campaign is not advertising on mobile.

And it was a landing page test, so no, the ads are not using the same landing page.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

How much traffic have the 2 new keywords in respect to the other keywords ?

How many keywords are in total in that ad group ? 

If the 2 new keywords are found as words in the text Ad B , then they are more relevant in respect to it and it could explain why text Ad B is labeled more relevant to the entire ad group and starts getting more impressions.

To make a good A-B test you have to use a single exact match keyword per ad group to reduce influence of the variety of search terms which combined with the ads and the landing pages give different results.

A phrase match keyword dilutes the results because it can match a variety of search terms.

In simple words, maybe text Ad A was a winner for keyword 1 and 2 from 10 keywords in that ad group, but when the other keywords started picking up traffic, text Ad B started to be more relevant.

AdWiser is much more experienced than me and a brilliant thinker , like many community members here, so he may be able to provide a better diagnosis if he has the time to write.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thank you, Adrian.

I do follow this thread and get e-mail notifications, yet I'm out of ideas for the moment, otherwise I would have chimed in.

Your scenario does make sense. If the two new keywords are found in ad B and if they have enough traffic volume, they may switch the balance towards ad B. So can a higher relevance between the two new keywords and the landing page used for ad B.

What puzzles me is why ad A was killed altogether.

In this case, the only scenario that comes to my far from brilliant mind is the following:

- you have a fixed budget, and it is not high enough to get you to 100% impression share for all current keywords (including the new ones)
- the new keywords can blow your daily budget on their own (high traffic, high relevance when paired with ad B)
- they keywords that were relevant enough when paired with ad A have lower traffic volume and don't get much of a chance to show.

How is your ad delivery setting? Evenly over the day or accelerated? Accelerated would make the diagnostic easier Smiley Happy.

If any of my assumptions are true, try to raise your daily budget until all your keywords get a chance to show (the impression share of the keywords that used to be paired with ad A becomes high enough). Also, please check that your delivery settings are set to "evenly".

When all these settings are in place, please give the system a bit of time to register them and run the Ad Preview Tool for one of the keywords that used to be paired with ad A. Does the system still pair them with ad A or does it now pick ad B, for some reason?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello guys,

Thank yo for your replies, here are my answers to the various questions

@Adrian
-since being added on 11.05 the 2 kw have had together 30 impressions and 5 clicks - so nothing impressive there
-the ad group has 40-50 keywords
-the keywords are long tail and not found in the ad text; the ad text is related to them through context
-this is an exact match ad group

@AdWiser
-i checked my daily budget and it was never a problem; i never manage to spend my whole daily budget, so the ad group shouldn't be bothered by that
-the IS has always been high in the 90% over the period in question
-delivery method is accelerated

Thank you,
Sabina

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
@Sabina, can you please run the keywords that used to be paired with ad A through the Ad Preview Tool and see what ad is served and / or what message you see there?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Sabina do you keep a track of Quality Score for the Account?

I believe @Adrian B's suggestion my be along the right lines.  You have a lot of Keywords in the Group - especially if they're all Exact match, and I'm wondering if there has been a shift in Quality Score that essentially makes Ad B a far more cost-effective Ad.

I'd be inclined to switch the Ad Rotation settings to "Rotate indefinitely" (or for 90 days) for a week or two.  It may not be the best setting for your Campaign but it would allow you to see the metrics for the two Ads when they're fairly entered into all available auctions.  If you see, for example, that Ad A has a CTR of 2% and Ad B a CTR of 20%, that's a fairly clear indication that Google is likely to pick Ad B when using any optimisation setting.

I'd also, as an aside, suggest you re-examine your Group structure.  50 Exact match Keywords in a single Group is an awful lot.  When I get down to Exact matches, I tend to use fewer than 4 per Group, and only as variations of word order...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits