AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Good CTR But No Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, I launched by skills guide book website, created Adwords campaigns, got decent enough CTRs (2-3% average), 1300 clicks but no conversion. Following the advice in this forum, I have made sure the ad text matches the message on the landing page. Analytics shows just 12 clicks on 'Buy/download' button. I blocked countries which were bringing in clicks. 

The landing page has:

Hero image

Valid Testimonials

FAQs

as well as other best practices.

So, today I have paused all the test ads, the display branding campaigns are running though. 

What should I do next? I think I need help with deconstructing the landing page. Or, maybe people don't buy Pdf books. (I would like to point out that I used to get purchases when I had no PPC at all). I am using Gumroad to process tha payment and delivery. Earlier I had a paypal IPN system setup.

Thank you for your help..

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Good CTR But No Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am extremely sorry.

The URL is https://www.thesuccessmanual.in

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Pramit,

The issue seems to be related to the conversion tracking.
Have you implemented the adwords conversion tracking code on the thank you page(success page after completing the goal) to track whether customers have downloaded/purchased the books?
As analytics show 12 clicks on the download button, it means goal was completed but was not tracked in adwords.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

Thank you for your prompt help. Actually, the download button leads to the Gumroad page for the book. Gumroad shows 600 visits to the page. Analytics shows 12 clicks on the button. I have set up conversion tracking code. So far 1200 clicks and 12 assisted conversions. But no actual sales.

The PDF was selling organically till April, after which I create a dedicated landing page and started PPC.

Do you think the landing needs more work? The adwords ads specifically said it was a pdf book.

The Ad with highest CTR (7%) says,

Top 200+ Skills We Need
To Succeed Faster In Any Career.
All-in-one PDF eBook. Only $12.
thesuccessmanual.in/Skills-AllInOne

I am thinking maybe PPC is not the way to sell ebooks.

Thank you for your help.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I have not heard that adwords is unable to provide ROI. Its all how you are marketing, which strategy you are following as per your marketing objective.
If your previous landing page was really working then you need to think and test again with the same page or something similar.
In adwords there is always need for optimisation related to ads position testing, bidding strategy, ad copies testing, landing page testing and a lot more things you can try by analysing the different metrics from the dimension tab.

Even not only your own campaigns but there is always a need to keep an eye on what your competitors are doing. You need to think as a user where you are lacking, if you are able to grab the users to your landing page but unable to convert, then definitely you need to work with the landing page.

I have found that the 'Call to action' & 'enquiry form position' on the landing page impacting the conversions.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Archit.

I have started to have a close look at the landing page, at the CTA buttons as you suggested.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
I agree with Archit. If something was "working", then you test something that doesn't work, go back to the thing that was working, and run the test again.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi All,

So, I went back, redesigned the landing page, using the layout that was working before we started PPC, restarted text ad campaign, started to get 55+ clicks daily @1.8% CTR, but still no conversions. Analytics shows 2 clicks on the 'Buy Now' Button. On an average, we are getting 2 clicks on 'Buy Now' for every 100 clicks. I am thinking, maybe the product's Gumroad page is not converting. That page has 500+ clicks so far, with no conversions. I am already working on alternative methods of selling digital products - go back to using Paypal.

Thanks for all the help.

Pramit

P.S. The redesigned landing page is here: https://www.thesuccessmanual.in

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
At the end of the day, if you are making money, then the money is going somewhere. Smiley Happy If you have concerns about conversion tracking/reporting, then what does your bank (Paypal) account say?

During this time frame, have you sold any eBooks?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

I didn't sell any copies since I started using PPC. Before that, I did, and although it wasn't much, I wasn't doing anything on marketing, I did sell organically, getting about 3-4% conversions. I though if I did PPC, I would get more traffic...rest, as they say, is Adwords history.

:-)

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Pramit