1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Gone ahead with Campaign... Limited results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok so I've started the campaign on £6/day and let Adwords run my CPC automatically - it's currently about 35p. Now I realise this is an extremely low budget but I've gone with it for two reasons. Firstly, we can't afford any more than this, in fact this is not affordable unless we start making some sales and soon. Secondly, we have very little competition. When I've tested out a few keywords in Google the only adverts that come up are from our suppliers (who offer the raw materials, not our finished product) and then adverts occasionally from shops and search engines like eBay, Amazon, annoyingsearchwebthingy.com (know what I mean?). I've just tried a keyword now and I'm getting ads up from our eBay listings and my Adword ad is nowhere to be seen.

Now is this just a con from Google keeping Adwords costs high even when there is little to no competition, or have I set up the campaign in a bad way?

I'll explain what I've done briefly: I have two adverts running one links to one category on the website the other to another category. There are two adgroups, each ad looks at one or the other. Each has about 25 keywords and they are mostly similar terms with variations on 'dreads' or 'dreadlocks' with 'buy', 'uk', 'synthetic', 'extensions', etc. Should I narrow it down some more? I've set it to Phrase Match.

Google is currently saying that my advert is not showing because of a limited budget. Does this mean I've used up all my budget for the day (it's only 12.30pm)?

Sorry I'm such a noob at this! Just don't want to waste a load of money we don't have and no one buys anything!

By the way, there definitely has been a (modest) increase in traffic, just no one's bought anything!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Gone ahead with Campaign... Limited results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Evil F, welcome to the Community.

The problem you're facing is all about how Google tries to target your daily budget.  You've told Google you want to spend no more than £6 per day and you know that your clicks typically cost you around 35p.  This means you can get roughly 17-18 clicks per day.  However, you'll see in your Account a figure for CTR (Click-Through-Rate) which is the rate at which your Ads are clicked compared to how often they're shown.  So, for example, if your Ad is shown 100 times and clicked 10 times, that's a CTR of 10%.

Now, if your Ad can only be shown at most 18 times in a day, and your CTR is 10% (I'll use this because it's a nice round number) then Google can only show your Ad around 180 times in a day (because 10% of 180 is 18) but there may actually be 1000 or 10,000 searches per day when your Ad could have been shown because of your Keywords.  This is what AdWords means by "limited budget":  your Ad is only being shown very infrequently because if it were to be shown all the time you'd be spending way over £6 a day.  The competition here is actually irrelevant, it's the number of searches that are the problem.

So, what can you do?  Firstly, I'd suggest trimming down your Keywords.  25 Keywords is a lot in any Group, let alone one with a small budget.  You may need to drop to just 1 or 2 Keywords per Group - the ones that perform the best - to give them a better slice of the budget pie.   Secondly, you might want to consider limiting how often your Ads are shown.  AdWords has the best chance of success when your Ad is shown to every possible person who may have an interest in your product; if you can't afford the budget to do this all day, it's actually better to just do it for - say - 3 hours a day than to show the Ads very rarely throughout the day.  So, for example, rather than having your Ads running all day you could just run them from 9am to midday or 5pm to 8pm - whichever looks like the best option for performance.  You could also consider only running the Ads on certain days of the week rather than every day.

Assuming you're running your Ads from 8am to 8pm every day, at the moment you're giving Google just 50p an hour to spend between 50 Keywords - it's no surprise your Ads aren't being shown very often.  If you were to limit the Ads to just 3 hours a day, and only run them 4 days a week you could give Google £3.50 an hour which is going to give you better "coverage" for that period.

The problem you have is, I suspect, that at the moment you don't know which days or which hours to choose because you have no data which is why it's generally better to spend a fairly high amount per day for an entire week, then stop and examine the data.

Are you tracking Conversions?  You must track online sales from AdWords to have any chance of running Ads successfully.  If you don't know which sales come from your advertising you have no idea if it is cost effective.

Are you targeting the UK only?

Have a look at the options for Ad Scheduling and come back with some more questions.

More about Ad Scheduling

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the swift response!

I'll be trying a few of your suggestions - I've already cut down a few of the broader keywords and I'll have to work out a sensible schedule for the ads. The problem is, as you've said, I don't know when would be best. We're not targeting any specific area as our sales from eBay, Etsy, and the one sale we've made from the website have been from all over the world.

Can you answer me this: when I do a Google search using one of my keywords I generally get one or no adverts at the top of the search results. That one advert is from our own suppliers - we're not really in competition with them, they supply the raw materials. If there is only one company paying for Adwords with similar keywords to mine, surely my keywords should cost next to nothing for CPC and my advert should appear just under my suppliers advert on the first page?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Evil, a couple of points:

1)  I really think you should target just one geographical area to start with.  Again, it's all about giving the Ads the best chance of showing frequently.  Once the single area proves a positive Return on Investment you can add another and so on.

2)  Google has a principle of trying to show high quality, relevant Ads to their customers so even if there is no competition at all (and that's actually quite rare - bear in mind you're only seeing what you see, not necessarily what everyone else may see) that doesn't mean your clicks will only cost 1p.  Basic click costs vary from Keyword to Keyword but the key metric in deciding how much you actually pay is Quality Score.  QS is quite a complex subject so I'll just refer you to the help page on the subject as it's a longish explanation!

As for how often the Ads appear, this is as I've said down to your daily budget.  If you're seeing other Ads almost every search it means they have a higher budget and/or fewer Keywords and/or a much higher Quality Score.

More about Quality Score

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits