Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Goals from Analytics vs Conversions from Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I would like to know if the Goals from Analytics and Conversions from Adwords are counted as the same or as different metrics. At the moment my Conversions pixels (from Adwords) are not working... The developer is still working on it and as we don't have a static Thank you page I think it will take a few more days to get the codes ready, we might end up configuring the codes at least in some of the key buttons!

However I know I can create Goals from Analytics and I'm gonna create them manually. My questions are:

1- Do I need to add any other code for these Goals to start working?

2- Is Google Adwords gonna show me the results coming from those Goals as well as the Conversion when the codes are ready in key buttons or thank you page?

3- Are these Goals gonna be related (at Google Analytics) to the campaign I have on FB using UTM codes to track results?

Please help! Any articles in relation to this will be also appreciated. 

Lady Jerez

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goals from Analytics vs Conversions from Adwords

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
1) Assuming you have Analytics installed on the site, and it's all on the same domain, the answer is no.
2) Once you link your Adwords with Analytics you can import your goal and transaction info into AdWords. Details on that here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en
3) Yes. Analytics will show you the goals completed from each traffic source.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Lady J

1- Do I need to add any other code for these Goals to start working?
No- the original GA code is all you need, Once you make goals in GA, they are pulled from the original GA code

2- Is Google Adwords gonna show me the results coming from those Goals as well as the Conversion when the codes are ready in key buttons or thank you page?

You will need to click through to conversions section in Adwords and select which goals you want to add as a Conversion for Adwords. If you have both GA Goals and Adwords Scripts code selected to be counted, then you will have both being shown, and counted. Thus a double counting. You may want to pick and chose which one of the GA to import or not import to make sure you are Not Double Counting, I use GA Goals ( not imported at times as a Backup )

3- Are these Goals gonna be related (at Google Analytics) to the campaign I have on FB using UTM codes to track results?
Depends. GA will track Adwords if Adwords is linked in GA and will auto tag those clicks ( if you have Auto-tagging enables on Adwords Settings.

The UTM one other source if set up correctly will display the referral source. Adwords if Linked and Auto tag enabled will provide the References. Goals are universal based on their settings and irrelevant to traffic sources
Example: A facebook user, a direct visitor , an adwords clicks can all complete a goal. The UTM or Tag will segment the referral source..

Hope that helped explain everything. Just make sure you don't double count your conversions by pulling in the exact same thing ( ie a thank you page goal in GA, and a same URL thank you page Script for AW)

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
In general, use Google Analytics for conversion and goal tracking, and import them into Google AdWords.

Situations where you might use AdWords conversion code:

Call tracking - you'll need AdWords conversion code, or use a 3rd party service.
Attribution - Analytics assigns conversions to the day they happened, while AdWords assigns them to the day and keyword of the first visit via AdWords. For some businesses the difference is meaningful.