AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Gmail Ads Keywords - Should have or not?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Folks,

So recently Google has rolled out a new style of Gmail ads that on top of your inbox in "promotion" section, which you can not only click it but also it will expand to a full email just look like a real one.

Since it's one of the display ads, it allow you to add keywords (Choosing keywords for a Display Network campaign is about connecting your ads with people most likely to be interested in your business) - But I'm not sure what's the best practice for gmail ads. Should I have some keywords too? Does Gmail show ads base on what email topic the audience have in inbox? 

Thanks in advance!

Jason

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
October 2015

Re: Gmail Ads Keywords - Should have or not?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting to the Community! You should definitely have some type of targeting beyond the "mail.google.com" placement; otherwise, you could end up showing ads to all Gmail users!

Keyword targeting is a good place to start, since with Gmail Ads, this targeting will allow you to target terms or domains that appear in a user's inbox. So you could target both the word "pet" and the domain "www.pets.com" as keywords, if you wanted to target people who have either of those in their inboxes.

Does that help?
Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
October 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting to the Community! You should definitely have some type of targeting beyond the "mail.google.com" placement; otherwise, you could end up showing ads to all Gmail users!

Keyword targeting is a good place to start, since with Gmail Ads, this targeting will allow you to target terms or domains that appear in a user's inbox. So you could target both the word "pet" and the domain "www.pets.com" as keywords, if you wanted to target people who have either of those in their inboxes.

Does that help?
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie

So is it only possible to target terms or domains that appear in a user's inbox or could you target terms that a user is writing in their own mails?

Regards 

Thomas

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

Gmail Ads specifically target based on email content in their inbox, not based on what they type.

Cassie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @CassieH,

Yeah sounds pretty good to me! Cat Very Happy

Well, just to be clearer how a bunch of keywords work - Say if I have 3 keywords in the ad group, is it possible that I can target people with these 3 keywords matches the contents in their inbox at the same time?

Thanks!

Jason

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Jason,

The keyword targeting in Gmail campaigns are automatically broad match. You can layer other types of targeting like you can in a typical Display campaign (ex. keywords & topics), but you cannot layer multiple keyword targets and require that they are all in the inbox or message.

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To clarify, you can't target both keyword and domain the same time. Google system will use either one or the other.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6105478?hl=en-GB

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.