AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Getting rid of irrelevant traffic by changing keyword match type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

After having a look at my Adwords Search Queries, I noticed that I have a lot of irrelevant traffic for "graphic designer" and "advertising agency" keywords (both broad match), in a form of "NAME graphic designer" or "NAME advertising agency".
As far I know, this problem can be solved only by changing match type to Exact Match, which I don't want to do, since than I will loose a lot relevant traffic, and my ad won't show up for "hire graphic designer" or "advertising agency Toronto" search queries.
I looked at Phrase Match option as well, but it seems that Phrase Match won't help with this issue, since it will keep both relevant and irrelevant traffic, almost like it is now. (Am I right?)

Is there any other way how I can get rid of this kind of irrelevant traffic, without loosing relevant?

Thank you in advance!

Note: Names of graphic designers and advertising agencies are different all the time; so negative keywords are not helping much so far. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Getting rid of irrelevant traffic by changing keyword match type

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daria,

I come across this regularly.

It is a lot of work, but if you diligently work through the search terms report and add the names of specific people to your negative keywords, in the long run it will pay off. Eventually you will show for lots of queries that your competitors won't, and/or at a cheaper click cost. That's because your competitors are unlikely to put in the effort.